Everyday Mom's Meals: I Am Freezing
_____

Sunday, January 16, 2022

I Am Freezing

 It's winter in Indiana. I get it. It's going to be cold. I'm almost 41 years old,  I've lived here all my life and I'm well aware of just how frigid it is going to get. But guess what, that doesn't stop me from complaining about it every. single. year. 

I love the fact I still live 15 minutes from where I grew up. I am thankful we are so close to family and my boys get to grow up with their grandparents and loved ones near by. (My grandparents were 6 hours away in PA when I was little, so I know just how lucky we are.) But there are days, when the cold is so brutal it takes your breath away, I do say to myself "Why do I live in a place where my face hurts?" Then I crank the heat and get on with my day. 

On the days when it's especially cold, do you find yourself even more exhausted when you get home? I don't know if it's a mental thing, or maybe when you finally get home and can put on some fuzzy slippers and cozy clothes you just hit a wall, but if I have been out in the face-hurting cold during the day, I am extra tired by the time supper rolls around.

On these days all I want is something warm, something quick and something delicious. Of course soup is the first thing to mind; and 9 times out of 10 I will have my slow cooker working on something all day long so I have to do almost nothing when it's time to eat, but what if I told you that you can have a tasty bean soup, cooked on the stove top and on the table in about 30 minutes? Think it's impossible? Think again! 

This Butter Bean Soup is one I've been making since we were newlyweds, almost 19 years ago! I saw it in a Taste of Home Magazine and was immediately intrigued because I loved butter beans. Plus, my cooking skills were not up to par yet, and using canned beans sounded so much easier than pre-soaking and slow cooking. Oh, and I worked out side the home at that point, so supper was something I had to do quick when we both got home and starving. 

I love that this soup is so veggie friendly. You can use whatever you have in the crisper drawer and even frozen ones if that's all you have. Sautéing the veggies first really help to develop their sugars, adding the flavor. Boxed broth or stock gives in a depth of flavor you can normally only find in soups that have cooked all day; but I guarantee this one will fake everyone out! 

If you are a planner, you could even chop the veggies the night before so they are ready to go when you get home. This is a great one to have beginner cooks start with too. Maybe the kids are old enough they start supper before you get home. ( I used to do this all the time for my mom when she worked.) Add some crusty bread or cheese and crackers and dinner can be on the table in about a half hour!

I am a very hot blooded person. So if I say I'm freezing, you know it's cold! Wintertime in Indiana means many things to Hoosiers, but for this girl it means whining a little, and cooking soup... a LOT!

 


Butter Bean Soup 

3 celery ribs, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

1 medium zucchini, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 (32 oz) boxes chicken broth

3 TBS vegetable oil

2 (15 oz.) cans baby butter beans, drained

3 TBS flour

1 tsp. dried basil

salt and pepper 

In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, celery, carrot and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Add flour, cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add broth stirring until smooth. Add butter beans and basil. Adjust seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until slightly thick.

 


Shared at Weekend Potluck

 

No comments: