Everyday Mom's Meals: A Sandwich By Any Other Name
_____

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Sandwich By Any Other Name

So, I was reading an article in one of my favorite cooking magazines and I stumbled upon a reader asking for a recipe for something her grandma used to make when she was a kid. "Does anyone have the recipe for Handy Pankys?"

Um, yeah, that got my attention. You want a recipe for what? And what exactly was grandma making? I was a little disturbed for a moment. So I did what I do every time I have a question these days, I turned to my trusty friend Google.

I began researching and found indeed, there are sandwiches with this unique and colorful name. They are actually quite popular and there are a million recipes out there for them. Usually served as an appetizer or party offering, they are commonly made on cocktail bread, and people rave them about!

Well, I took what I liked about many of those recipes, added in a little me, and came up with these delicious open faced sammies, perfect alongside a bowl of soup. The first big change is I made mine on a larger piece of bread since they were making a meal. Plus I added in some seasonings and a secret ingredient that gave them extra flavor.

And of course, the biggest change is the name. I'm sorry, but when your blog has the word "Mom" right in it, I just didn't feel comfortable using the original title. There is nothing wrong with it. It's definitely catchy and cute, I just wanted something a tiny more wholesome for my recipe collection.

If you have enjoyed the originals, I think you'll love my twist on them. But if you haven't, they can be as new to you as they were to me...just a little less awkward to stumble upon! 

Hot Cheesy Beef Sandwiches
10-12 slices French bread (from bakery)
1 lb. ground beef
8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. steak seasoning
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
3 tsp. steak sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 c. shredded Colby Jack cheese
Dried Parsley

Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet brown ground beef and onion until cooked. Drain if necessary. Add garlic powder, steak seasoning, steak sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well. Add Velveeta and stir constantly until cheese melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10-15 minutes. Carefully spoon meat mixture onto bread and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with shredded cheese  and parsley. Bake for 15 minutes until brown and bubbly. 





Shared on The Country Cook April 10, 2015

No comments: