Everyday Mom's Meals: That's What Friends Are For
_____

Monday, April 13, 2015

That's What Friends Are For

A few weeks ago my good friend told me about this treat she had a party the night before and how she "couldn't stop eating it." Well, you know with an endorsement like that, I had to know what it was, and how I could make it!

She described this amazing fruit salsa, how simple the recipe was, and how if she had just a touch less self control, she could have eaten the whole bowl herself. Well, that's all I needed to hear. The next day I was in the produce section, picking up everything I needed and by that night, I too was trying to avoid gobbling down the entire batch all by myself.

This is the perfect sweet treat for the kids, a summer cookout, a pool or lake party, or simply for snacking. So fresh, so tasty and really, actually healthy too. Just a hint of sugar, and the rest of the sweetness comes naturally from the fruit itself.

I served this with graham crackers and little man couldn't get enough. In fact, when he ran of crackers, he asked for a spoon to eat the rest. No joke! However, my friend said the batch she had was served with some cinnamon sugar chips you can find next to the tortilla chips at the store. I think those would be absolutely scrumptious too! 

I can't wait to make this again...and again...and again. Especially this summer when we go strawberry picking! Oh, I can only imagine how fresh picked berries would make it even better!

Great friends are for so many things, including yummy recipes I can then share with you!

Fruit Salsa
1 lb. strawberries, diced
2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1 ( 6 oz.) container raspberries
Juice of 1 lemon
3 heaping TBS strawberry preserves
2 TBS packed brown sugar

In a large bowl combine apples and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Let sit 2 minutes. Add strawberries, raspberries and kiwi. In a small bowl stir together preserves and brown sugar well. Pour down over fruit. Mix well. Allow to sit at room temperature 15 minutes before serving. Serve with graham crackers, cookies, etc. 






Shared on The Country Cook April 17, 2015

3 comments:

Yaya from La Vida Dulce said...

Love this recipe. Will be using it for a bridal shower soon.

JessC said...

This looks amazing! How many servings would you say this batch made? I'm making it for a party and just want to get an idea. Thanks for sharing!

Krista said...

Hi Jessica!
I would say this would feed 6-8 easily, with a decent size scoop each. But if you're making it for a party I would definitely double or triple it, depending on the number of people. Believe me, they won't want one serving each. Plus, it keeps in the fridge for a few days, so you can always snack on the leftovers too. Hope this helps!