Everyday Mom's Meals: A Meaty Addtion
_____

Friday, January 16, 2015

A Meaty Addtion

If you are a long time reader of EMM, you've probably seen my recipe for Fried Cabbage and Noodles a hundred times, especially if you follow me on Facebook too. It's one of those recipes that is not only a family favorite, but always a hit with my fans too. And so many of you have commented that you make it, but add meat, I thought it was about time I tried it too, sort of.

For us, the cabbage and noodles are a side dish we always look forward to eating. From the first time my Grammy made them, now through three generations, they are a classic. So, while I agree meat would taste great with them, I just couldn't do it. I had to find a way to make something new without changing the classic too much. It's just how my brain works.

I got to thinking about how much we love sausage and sauerkraut, so I decided to simply do cabbage and sausage instead...same idea, different application. Plus, I figured I'd leave out the noodles to change up the flavor just a bit. And this way, without the extra step of boiling pasta, I could call it a one pot meal! But if you love my original recipe and simply want to add the meat, go right ahead. I'm sure it would be delish!

This is one of those meals you can throw together in almost no time at the end of a long day. And if you have to stop at the store for ingredients, there are probably only 2 you don't have on hand, so express land here you come!

One Skillet Fried Cabbage and Sausage
1 large head cabbage, chopped
2 (12 oz.) packages smoked sausage, sliced on a bias
3-4 TBS vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat large skillet over medium heat. Place sausage in an cook until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Remove from skillet to a paper towel lined plate. Depending on how much fat the sausage renders out, add vegetable oil to skillet and increase heat to medium high. Add cabbage and saute until well browned and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove cabbage with slotted spoon to serving platter. Add sausage on top, or mix in, either is yummy! *NOTE* We like this seasoned simply, but I think it would be great with garlic powder or even Cajun seasoning too. Also, I would have loved to fry up some thinly sliced white onion with this but Mr. E can't do the onions. But I think the flavors would be really nice.



7 comments:

The Better Baker said...

Yes oh yes please! We love to eat this dish with some melted mozzarella over the top. Yours looks scrumptious for sure. Thanks for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck.

Anonymous said...

My husband has been cooking this for us about a year now. He adds butter, diced tomatoes, and onions! It's delicious with sweet cornbread muffins!

DecayingAngel said...

I just found this recipe and was wondering what type of sausage you recommend. We love all types, including Kielbasa, Italian etc. So I'm wondering what are your thoughts on the best sausage for this dish. Thanks!

Krista said...

Hi! I use polish smoked sausage but kielbasa would be great too! Thanks for stopping by :)

Unknown said...

Great recipe! I used vegan italian sausage and added the onions and garlic powder you mentioned.

Mandi said...

I tried this recipe with stewed tomatoes mixed in for a little spice.

Krista said...

Oh, that sounds yummy!