Everyday Mom's Meals: Easter Side Dish
_____

Monday, April 14, 2014

Easter Side Dish

Less than a week people. That's right, in case you haven't been paying attention to the calender, we have less than 7 days until Easter. So, if you are finishing up your menu plan, or maybe just beginning, I've got a great idea for you today.

Now, I realize that when most people think of sweet potatoes for a holiday they immediately go to Thanksgiving and images of turkeys and pilgrims. But I say that's not fair. Why should Turkey Day get all the sweet potato love? After all, most of us eat them year round, so why can't they be included in another holiday? Maybe a springtime one. Maybe one that has a different woodland creature as its mascot. That's right! I think the sweet potato needs to be included in more Easter meals. 

For our family, Easter means ham, and to us, no other side dish goes with ham as well as a sweet potato. Many times when I make ham steaks, baked sweet potatoes are sitting on the plate too. I'm not sure why my brain works that way, but it does. In fact, the night I tested this recipe I served them will some ham steaks. 

These are great because you can easily adapt the amount depending on the amount of people sitting down to your Easter meal; and the are done completely stove top, saving room in your already packed full oven! Sweet and savory, they please all the taste buds. In fact, if you think your kids won't eat sweet potatoes, try these. Anything "candy" related is usually a lot easier to convince them with.

If you are still planning your Easter meal, be sure to jot this one down, especially if ham is on the menu. But if you don't need an idea for Sunday, just remember it for a simple side dish any night of the week too!

Skillet Candied Sweet Potatoes
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
6 TBS. butter, divided
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet heat 2 TBS butter over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.  Saute until fork tender, about 15 minutes, stirring often. Will brown around edges a little. Scoot potatoes to edges of pan, add remaining 4 TBS butter to center and melt. Add brown sugar to melted butter. Gently toss potatoes to coat in sugar mixture. Lower heat to low. Allow to simmer in sauce about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir to combine. Transfer to serving dish and pour extra sauce on top.



Shared on The Country Cook April 18, 2014
 

4 comments:

The Better Baker said...

These look super good! I believe I will have to add this dish to my Easter menu! :-) Thanks..

Unknown said...

I made this dish to accompany my ham on Christmas Eve. It was a hit all around. Very quick and easy, and saved prime oven space. I'll definitely make this again!

getreal said...

Can you make sweet potatoes the night before?

Krista said...

You could totally make these the night before and reheat!