Everyday Mom's Meals: Last Day Celebration
_____

Friday, June 7, 2013

Last Day Celebration

That's right! It's finally here! The day we've waited 180 days for...THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! Yep, 2nd grade is now behind us, and we have a summer full of fun planned before we even start to think about 3rd grade! Okay, I guess I should correct that. Alex is excited to be a 3rd grader in about 2 1/2 months...Mommy is in total denial. Third Grade? That's not possible. I'm pretty sure he just started walking last week, and learned his ABCs two days ago. But I guess I have the next couple months to get used to the idea, or at least pretend to.

So in honor of Alex's "graduation" day, I'm sharing a delicious new salad I made a few weeks ago that he absolutely loved. I mean he gobbled it up as fast as I could scoop it into his bowl. I can't say I blame him though. It is quite yummy. Full of big mushroom flavor, that is complimented by tangy, briny olives and capers, it's fresh, light and perfect for summer.

This would be a great idea for an outdoor party or picnic. No mayo means you can be a little less careful with it out in the heat! Now, don't go sitting it in the 90 degree sun for 8 hours, and then come back here telling me how your guests ended up in the ER with food poisoning! I'm just saying without any mayo or sour cream, unlike many of our summer salads, this one is a little more element friendly.

It is great with steaks, burgers, seafood, chicken....pretty much any protein that tickles your fancy. It's simple to prepare, making it even taste even better!

Congrats to my little man for yet another fantastic school year. We couldn't be more proud of your academic accomplishments  And those are only topped by the loving, considerate, oh so special person you are growing into every single day!

Marinated Mushroom Salad Adapted from Serious Eats
1 lb. white button mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size
1/2 c. grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 c. pitted kalamata olives, halved
2 TBS. capers
1/4 c. olive oil
2 TBS white vinegar
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried parsley, extra for garnish
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a small bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. In a large bowl toss together mushrooms, tomatoes, olives and capers. Pour dressing over top. Mix well to coat. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Garnish with extra parsley.


Shared on The Country Cook June 7, 2013
Shared on Make Ahead Meals June 10, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box June 11, 2013
Mushrooms at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: