Everyday Mom's Meals: Childhood Camping
_____

Monday, June 17, 2013

Childhood Camping

When I was a little girl, one of the highlights to my summer vacation was the trip my mom and I made "back home" each July. For two weeks we would head east to Pennsylvania to spend some much needed quality time with my grandparents and uncle. And oh what a fun filled two weeks they were! 

One of our favorite things to do during that time was to load up the Winnebago and head to Pymatuning State Park and spend a few days in the great outdoors, sitting around the campfire, filling each day with more memories than the one before. Some of those memories are ones I hold most dear from my childhood. Like the time a mother skunk and her babies "camped out" under our camper! Yep, true story!

And two things that stick in my mind most of all about those camping trips are both food related. One, my grandma always had a fridge full of Grape Faygo pop (my favorite at the time) and it was such a treat! The second is this dish... a super simple supper, that to this day is still a family favorite. It was something grandma could easily make out of the canned goods stocked in the camper, and was especially nice if we had a rainy day and grandpa wasn't able to cook outside. Not to mention it always makes a huge amount, and the leftovers make great lunches for a couple days. 

If you love simple "thrown together" meals that can be ready in no time, I'm sure this will be right up your alley. Or maybe your family enjoys camping trips too, and this can go with you on your next excursion. Either way, I'm happy to share just a little bit of my childhood, and hope it leads to happy memories for you too!

Campfire Skillet Casserole
2 large Russet potatoes, baked and cooled
2 (15 oz.) cans green beans, drained
1 (16 oz.) package smoky link sausage, cut into small pieces
1 (11 oz.) can mushroom pieces and stems, drained
3 TBS butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley for garnish

Preheat electric skillet to 350. (If using stove top, medium-high) Cut potatoes int large bite sized chunks. Add butter to skillet. Once melted, add potatoes. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Allow potatoes to cook, stirring often until slightly golden around edges, about 5-7 minutes. Add green beans, mushrooms and smoky links. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to 325. Cover and allow to cook 20 minutes,  stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley. 
*NOTE* As much as we enjoy very crispy potatoes, for this recipes I don't let them get too crisp. Why? Because that's the way grandma did it....and I don't mess with a good thing! 


Shared on Make Ahead Meals June 17, 2013
Casseroles at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

No comments: