Everyday Mom's Meals: Harder In My Head...Again
_____

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Harder In My Head...Again

Many moons ago, when I shared my recipe for Stuffed Peppers, I titled the post "Much Harder In My Head" because prior to making them, I thought they were a dish that would be very labor intensive and too hard for me, the everyday mom, to prepare. Well, I was wrong, way wrong; and I've once again found myself in the same situation.

I love pecan pie. Next to Pumpkin....and my mom's Peach Custard....and Sugar Cream....it's probably my favorite. (I love pie. Can you tell?) And I have always envisioned it to be one that I could never make at home due to my lack of baking skills. I've told you before, I like to bake, and I do periodically, but I'd much rather make a "meal" and either have a store bought dessert, or something that doesn't involve baking. Have you noticed how many "stir and chill" desserts I make? So when I was talking to my friend about pecan pie and she mentioned that her grandma had a really easy recipe that even she could make, I was intrigued. It's no offense to my friend, but if she can bake it I knew I could since she is kind of the same type of baker as I am. She will, and does, but prefers doing other kinds of cooking in the kitchen. She was kind enough to share grandma's recipe with me, and indeed...it was much harder in my head once again. This pie came was super simple (No doubt partly due to the use of a pre-made crust) and came out perfectly.

If you are looking for a fantastic dessert for you holiday table tomorrow, but can't handle the stress of something complicated, try this one out. Because if I can do it, you can too!

Pecan Pie
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. pecan halves
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350. Combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla. Blend well. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie shell. Allow to sit for a few minutes to allow pecans to "float" to top a bit. Bake for 50-55 minutes until a knife inserted half way between center and edge comes out clean. 
*NOTE* If crust browns too fast, carefully wrap aluminum foil around edges and continue baking. 



Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Nov. 21, 2012


3 comments:

JackieToo said...

Most folks are kind of skittish about making pecan pies. To me there about the easiest as long as you don't overbake them. Then you end up with a pretty pecan brick. :o)

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for all the goodies throughout the year!

JackieToo said...

Most folks are kind of skittish about making pecan pies. To me there about the easiest as long as you don't overbake them. Then you end up with a pretty pecan brick. :o)

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for all the goodies throughout the year!

Susan said...

I've always been intimidated by pecan pie - but this looks really easy! I'd love for you to share this (and any other ideas you have) at Tuesday's Table for the Holidays - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2012/11/tuesdays-table-holiday-ideas.html