Everyday Mom's Meals: Copycat Fall Favorite
_____

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Copycat Fall Favorite

While I think of this recipe as one that would be more enjoyable in fall, to be honest, I will order the original winter, spring, summer and fall. They are something I enjoy as a side dish for both breakfast and dinner any time we visit our local Cracker Barrel. But I do admit to making them more often at home when the leaves are changing, the pumpkins are abundant and apple season is in full swing! They are another recipe that works great as a side or add a little whipped cream for a warm easy dessert. In fact, many times I will order them with my meal and then save them until the end making them my dessert. They would also work great as a "topper" for things like oatmeal or French toast during a weekend breakfast or brunch. Another tip for you~ if you have some apples laying around that are starting to "turn" and aren't quite as crisp as they should be, this is a great use for them. In fact, that's exactly what I used when I made this batch. Remember that $9 bag of apples I told you about when I shared my Cinnamon Dip? Well, I had just a few left in that bag and they needed to be used ASAP, so this was what came to mind.  However or whenever you decide to serve them, they scream autumn and are a warm, comforting side dish on any chilly fall day!

Fried Apples
6 medium apples, cored and sliced (I like the peel left on)
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 c. butter
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium hit. Evenly spread apples in skillet. Drizzle with lemon juice. Gently stir. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt. Stir to coat. Turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until apples are tender. Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir gently. Remove into serving dish and drizzle with extra syrup in pan.


Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Oct. 17, 2012
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Oct. 18, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 19, 2012
Apples at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

3 comments:

Unknown said...

To me, this is like the best part of an apple pie! I too would eat it anytime of the year ;) It looks delicious!!!
Renee - Kudos Kitchen

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

I love your recipes! Thank you for sharing them with us at Cast Party Wednesday! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

Miz Helen said...

Hi Krista,
Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
Miz Helen