Everyday Mom's Meals: Make Your Own
_____

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Make Your Own

Okay so I am going to be totally upfront w/ you right from the start. Most of the time if I'm making taco meat for any reason, I rely on the packaged mixes we all know from the international foods aisle at the grocery store. Believe me, this everyday mom has bought many a "Taco Seasoning" packets in my cooking career. Why not? They are cheap, convenient and give the right flavor. But just like many so many other moms out there I am trying to pay a little more attention to the prepackaged foods I put into our bodies. Plus, I truly believe in the end, making your own can also be more economical. Make more for less! I am in NO way being critical of taking short cuts when you can, or a little help from the store if you need it. Believe me, even after making this, I will more than likely buy another packet when I need to save time.  But this time I had a little extra time on my hands and wanted to try to do it myself. This worked perfectly and since I also like to use ground buffalo for my tacos instead of ground beef, I wanted to see if it still allowed the flavor of the meat to come through w/o being too overpowering, and it did, perfectly. So maybe if you have a little extra time and want to attempt making something from "scratch", this would be a great place to start.

Taco Seasoning  From Allrecipes.com

6 tsp. chili powder
5 tsp. paprika
4 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper


In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cornstarch. Close lid securely, and shake well to mix contents.Or mix in a bowl and transfer to a jar w/ lid. 
*NOTE* 7 teaspoons is equivalent to 1 (1.25 ounce) package of taco seasoning. 


Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 17, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook May 18, 2012
Mexican at Very Good Recipes
 Pin It

No comments: