Everyday Mom's Meals: Asakusa Inspired
_____

Monday, May 21, 2012

Asakusa Inspired

Five years ago if you asked me if I liked sushi I would have, like many people I know, would have turned my nose up and answered w/ a resounding "no". However, my husband has loved sushi for years and at his urging I finally tried it. Well, it was love at first bite, and now not only am I hooked but I would consider it one of my favorite foods. And yes, I do eat some things raw, and they are fabulous! Plus, our 7 year old is also a sushi fanatic and we are so proud to be passing the enjoyment onto him. So most of the time if it's a special occasion and we are choosing some place to eat, 9 times out of 10 I will pick our favorite sushi place, Asakusa. During our most recent meal there we tried a new appetizer and I was totally inspired. It wasn't anything fancy, just teriyaki shrimp grilled on skewers,and they were so delicious. Simple, but elegant they are the reason I came up with this meal at home. Maybe one of these days I'll get really brave and try my hand at making sushi too!

Teriyaki Shrimp Lettuce Cups
2 heads leaf lettuce
1 (12oz) bag frozen (71/80 size) shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined (feel free to use fresh if possible)- thawed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 c. shredded carrot
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
Soy Sauce, optional

Wash and dry lettuce. Separate leaves and remove tough ends. In a large ziploc bag place thawed shrimp, garlic, teriyaki, salt and pepper. Allow to marinate in fridge for 1-2 hours. Preheat grill to medium Place shrimp on skewers. Spray grill w/ non stick spray. Grill shrimp until pink and opaque, about 3 minutes per side.When ready to assemble, play 3-4 shrimp on lettuce leave, a few carrots and 2 slices of cucumber. Add a few drops of soy, if desired, roll and enjoy!


Shared on Make Ahead Meals May 21, 2012
Shared on Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen May 21, 2012 
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box May 22, 2012 
Shared on Chef in Training May 22, 2012 
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain May 23, 2012 
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage May 24, 2012 
Shared on NY Melrose Family May 24, 2012 
Shared on The Country Cook May 25, 2012

Shrimp at Very Good Recipes
Pin It


6 comments:

Jackie @Syrup and Biscuits said...

What a great summer meal! Nicely done, Krista.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Krista! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/148/8202/Fort-Wayne/Everyday-Moms-Meals.html

Best,
Greg

www.urbanspoon.com

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely amazing! I love that they are lettuce wraps. So fun! Id love it if you'd share these at my weekly link party going on now at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/05/whimsy-wednesdays-12.html

Bobbi | Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen said...

I have been craving Chinese food so much and this is perfect for my cravings and the summertime!!! Thanks again Krista you are awesome!!!

Miz Helen said...

Your Shrimp Lettuce Cups look delicious! Hope you have a great holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

CEK said...

Good morning, I featured this recipe on my blog today for my weekly seafood round-up. It looks great, thanks for allowing me to share! Here is the link: http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/06/week-20-seafood-frenzy-friday.html