Everyday Mom's Meals: Corny Match
_____

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Corny Match

Some matches were simply made in heaven, end of story. Tomato soup and grilled cheese. Cheese and wine. Olive oil and garlic. Things that go so well together you can't imagine having them separately. Another one on this long list of perfect matches is Ham and Beans w/ cornbread. We never have my Crock Pot Ham and Beans w/o cornbread; and I rarely serve cornbread w/ anything else. It just doesn't make sense. My mom was the same way. Or shall I say, my dad was. If we were having ham and beans, then mom had to make cornbread. No questions asked. And like her I sometimes take help from our friend Jiffy and make it from the box mix. But if I have a little extra time (and since the Crock Pot does all the cooking of the main dish, I should!) I go ahead and make it from scratch. There is nothing wrong w/ the box mix, and I think it actually tastes pretty good, but there is just something about home made. Let's face it, home made anything is always another way to get a big "thank you" from your family! Appreciation is key to a happy Mommy!!! I don't know who was the first person to pair these two together, but I'm certain my family won't be the last. If you're looking for a down home country meal, let the Crock Pot take care of the ham and beans (recipe link above) so you can whip up its sidekick, cornbread, in no time!

Cornbread
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400. Grease a 8x8 square pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg until moistened. (Will be lumpy--do not over mix). Pour into pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve w/ butter and honey, if desired.

~Join me for Tasty Tuesday on Formula Mom.~


Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Mar.13, 2012
Shared on Celebrating Family Mar. 13, 2012
Shared on Chef in Training Mar. 13, 2012
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Mar. 14, 2012
Shared on Newlyweds Blog Mar. 14, 2012
Shared on The Country Cook Mar. 16, 2012

No comments: