Everyday Mom's Meals: Ask And You Shall Receive
_____

Monday, August 29, 2011

Ask And You Shall Receive

It's ironic sometimes how Alex's timing is. I don't know if other parents find their children doing this, but sometimes it's as if the little guy knows exactly what I'm thinking. Maybe it's simply b/c Mommy and Monkey are so much a like and spend a lot of time together, but whatever the reason, I don't mind. It makes me smile. The latest occurrence of this happened when I was sitting at my computer coming up w/ the next Menu Plan for our family, and this blog. I'm looking through recipes trying to find inspiration and stumble upon one for easy  sloppy joe sauce. I will admit, this is something I usually buy in the can for convenience factor, but I have made them from "scratch" before. But it was one of those recipes that went like this: "Pour some in. Add some of this. A touch of that. Shake a little of this". So I wanted something a little more concrete to share w/ you. I had just typed "sloppy" when Alex looks up from the couch, knowing what I was doing, and says "Mommy, can we have sloppy joes next week". Seriously. I'm not kidding. I laughed out loud and told him "You must have been reading Mommy's mind". So I continued to read on AllRecipes.com and found one that had the exact same things in it that I have used, but in measured amounts. This couldn't be easier, and it can actually be made in the morning, stored in the fridge and added to the burger at meal time. What can I say? When my pride and joy asks, Mommy just has to make it happen :)

Easy Sloppy Joes
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ground beef
1/4 c. chopped onion
Buns

Mix first 5 ingredients together. Set aside, or refrigerate until use. In a medium skillet, brown ground beef and onion until no longer pink. Drain. Return to skillet and add sauce mixture. Reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Serve on buns, toast or bread.




Shared on Jam Hands Aug. 29, 2011
Shared on Chef in Training Aug. 30, 2011
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Aug. 30, 2011
Shared on Celebrating Family Aug. 30, 2011
Shared on Naptime Creations Aug. 30, 2011
Shared on Hugs & Cookies Aug. 30, 2011
Shared on Lady Behind the Curtain Aug. 31, 2011
Shared on This Chick Cooks Aug. 31, 2011
Shared on Lark's Country Heart Aug. 31, 2011
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage Sept. 1, 2011
Shared on Amee's Savory Dish Sept. 2,  2011
Pin It

7 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

great post, good for you for being "inspired"! Loves me sloppy anything (but that's my inner Alex speaking!!!)

DANIELLE said...

MY BOYS AND I R COMING FOR DINNER. WHAT TIME?

Miz Helen said...

We still love Sloppy Joes at our house, your recipe looks great. Hope you have a wonderful holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come back soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your sloppy joes and home fries, Krista! Delish!! :)

Chef in Training said...

LOVE sloppy joes and this looks like a great and yummy recipe! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Cocos Mommy said...

Just made this tonight. So easy and yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Krista said...

That's great! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to let me know!