Everyday Mom's Meals: Put Down The Jar! Homemade Alfredo Is Super Easy
_____

Monday, June 13, 2022

Put Down The Jar! Homemade Alfredo Is Super Easy

 Let me preface this post by saying, I will never throw shade on someone who is using jarred pasta sauce in their house. We've all been there. We've all done it. We all still do it! In no way am I being critical, or sitting on my food blogger pedestal being all pious about how homemade is the way to go. I am simply showing you how easy making your own can be, if you want to and time allows, since I spent too many years thinking it was complicated. 

When I first shared homemade Alfredo years ago, it was like a revelation to me. I couldn't believe I had made it from scratch and it actually worked! More recently, when I posted a Copycat Olive Garden Alfredo I pointed out it was a little different than ones I had prepared in the past because it was thickened with a roux- a mixture of butter and flour. This one is s a little different yet again, with the addition of cream cheese! It's nice to have variety and each one is as tasty as anything an Italian restaurant is serving up.

One reason why I love this recipe, besides being absolutely delicious is the use of frozen tortellini. Let's face it prices at the grocery store are enough to make anyone scream, but this is a great way to stretch a big bag of frozen pasta. I used 2 of the 19 ounce bags which were under $3 each. Even adding in the ingredients for the sauce, that is still less than one plate of pasta at our favorite Italian place. 

Making the sauce might seem like quite a few steps, but I promise it comes together quickly and simply, and you won't have to stand over a hot stove for long. (If you are in for triple digits like we are this week, that is something to be thankful for!)

Throw a quick green salad and maybe some crusty bread with this and you have a pasta supper any Nona would be proud of! 

Making homemade Alfredo might be easier than you might think, but don't think you have to hide those jarred ones in the back of the pantry. Believe me, there are currently jars of both red sauce and Alfredo in my kitchen right, and I am 100% here for it! 


 

Cheese Tortellini Alfredo

2 (19 oz.) bags frozen cheese tortellini

1 cups half-and-half

2 cups milk

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup flour

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup grated Parmesan Romano cheese

4 oz. cream cheese, broken into small chunks

Salt and Pepper

Fresh Parsley, chopped

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, until smooth. Slowly pour in milk and half-and-half, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add cream cheese and stir until smooth. Add grated cheese and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until pasta is done. When pasta is cooked, drain well. Add to skillet and gently stir into sauce. Transfer to serving bowl or plates and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired. 


Shared at Weekend Potluck



No comments: