Everyday Mom's Meals: Summer Time Sandwich
_____

Sunday, June 5, 2022

Summer Time Sandwich

 I can not tell you how happy our house is that summer has arrived! School has been out for almost 2 weeks, the pool opened last week and I have tan lines on my feet from my flip flops, earned from trips to the zoo and air show! I am in my happy place! 

With the warmer temperatures, I am always looking for meals that keep us cool, can be eaten outside on our backyard deck or be packed in a picnic basket for a trip to a local park. Nothing screams all of these more than a terrific sandwich! 

The options are endless when it comes to a simple summer sandwich supper, but at the top of my favorites list has to be a great chicken salad; and one of my go-to versions is this simple copycat version of Arby's Pecan Chicken Salad.

The crunchy pecans, apples and celery with the sweetness of red grapes give this chicken salad a flavor like no other. It has been my most sough after version for years. When it disappeared from the menu at our local Arby's I almost rioted. Hence why I had to learn to make it at home! 

Now it's been back for a while now, but let's face it, like everything else, whew that price has gone up! Yet another great reason to make a big batch at home for a summer supper or lunches all week long!

Let's talk canned chicken. I used it in this recipe because I had some on hand, but leftover chicken or rotisserie style would work well too! However, canned chicken has become something I am using more and more of in certain recipes because it's more economical than fresh sometimes. It works well in soups, salads and some casseroles. So, don't overlook it when you have a recipe that calls for cooked chicken. 

Summer time is here, and we are rejoicing. We intend to suck every last drop of fun, and deliciousness out of it! 



 Copycat Arby's Chicken Salad 

2 (12 oz.) cans chicken, drained well

1 cup red grapes, halved

1 cup pecans, chopped

2 gala apples, finely chopped

3 ribs celery, finely chopped

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1 TBS lemon juice

Salt and  Pepper

In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper. In a large bowl combine chicken, grapes, apples, celery and pecans. Stir well to combine. Add dressing and stir again. Chill for at least an hour before serving. Serve on bread, toast, rolls, crackers, croissants, etc. *NOTE* Chill the cans of chicken before making to be able to serve right away.



No comments: