Everyday Mom's Meals: It's All In The Sauce
_____

Sunday, April 3, 2022

It's All In The Sauce

When I am thinking about a copycat recipe from a favorite restaurant the brainstorming and research that goes into what gives the dish the "it factor" can sometimes take a while to gather and perfect before I am ready to recreate it. 

I want to make sure it tastes as close to the original as possible. I love the look on my boys' faces when they bite into a dish and immediately say "This tastes just like it!" It gives me a great sense of accomplishment and fills my foodie heart with joy.

Years ago I tried to make an at home version of McDonald's Filet-O-Fish and I will 100% admit I was lazy. It looked pretty simple from the outside. Fish. Cheese. Tartar. Bun. Done. Well, I wasn't quite into the details as I am now (at the time I think Alex was maybe 3-4 and I was just trying to get people fed). 

This time around I decided it was time to do a little research to see what I could do to get them spot on. I knew 3 things for sure going into it. The fish has to be breaded not battered, the cheese has to be American and finally, that tartar sauce. Oh, the sauce. Let's face it, to make a copycat of this famous sandwich, the secret is in the sauce! That is where the flavor comes from and what needs to be perfected to make sure it tastes like you stopped at the drive-thru.

After reading some recipes online and articles speculating what was in the sauce, one ingredient stood out that I would have never guessed. Capers! I love capers and they give McD's tartar sauce that little something extra that makes you crave a filet-o-fish at 10 o'clock at night. Oh, that's just me? Oops.

The fish fillets I found were just the "normal" ones and I used 2 per sandwich because they are kind of skinny. Sometimes you can find ones labeled "for sandwiches" and they are more square shaped-and would be perfect for these! 

With many of us needed weekly meat-free meals during Lent, this was the perfect time to share this fishy secret recipe with you! Grab some fries and dinner is done!


 Copycat McDonald's Filet-O-Fish 

8 frozen breaded fish fillets, cooked 

8 slices American cheese

Hamburger Buns

Tartar Sauce:

1/2 c. mayonnaise

1/4 c. dill pickle relish

1 tsp. lemon juice

1/8 tsp. sugar

1 TBS capers, chopped

2 tsp. dried onions, chopped

2 tsp. milk

1 tsp. dried parsley

In a small bowl, whisk ingredients for tartar sauce. Chill for 1 hour. Bake fish according to directions, adding a few minutes for extra crispiness. When finished assemble the sandwiches: Add the fish fillets, cheese slice and a big dollop of tartar sauce. Serve immediately.

 

Shared at Weekend Potluck


No comments: