Everyday Mom's Meals: A Little Down On The Farm At Home
_____

Sunday, December 5, 2021

A Little Down On The Farm At Home

The days are getting dark before 5pm here in Indiana, which is no doubt one of the things I dislike most about winter. The others being freezing, snow, ice...I don't even try to hide the fact I'm not a fan. Besides Christmas and then my birthday in February, I don't really have many nice things to say about Old Man Winter. 

But I live in northern Indiana, and haven't won the lottery this week, so that beach mansion isn't happening anytime soon, so time to focus on the positive! Winter in our neck of the woods means it is also soup season, stew season, chowder season and comfort food season! Yep, while I don't enjoy the cold days, I do love the food. 

Most of you know I worked at Bob Evans all through high school and college; but what some might not realize is now my oldest is carrying on the family tradition and is now working at the same location for the same general manager that hired me 24 years ago! How cool is that? It has become a true family to us, and we are so thankful he loves his job, and the people he works with/for as much as I did. It warms this mama's heart to see him thriving in the same way as a young person about customer service, food service and how good earning your own money feels! 

To this day one of Bob Evans' most popular recipes continues to be their Chicken and Noodles. It was a favorite back in the day when I was serving tables and it remains so today. After all these years I knew it was time to recreate it at home in my own kitchen.

This is what you want to come home to after a very long, cold day when you've been out in the kind of cold that makes your face hurt. Oh, I forgot to mention, my version happens to be a slow cooker meal too! Talk about putting the icing on the cake! 

If you've never used the frozen Reames noodles they are the closest thing to homemade I've ever had and absolutely perfect in this recipe. They are the thicker, chewy style like my grandma used to make and remind me of the ones they use at the restaurant both in flavor and texture. 

Did you happen to freeze some leftover turkey after Thanksgiving, or maybe you will have some come December 26th? You could easily make this with turkey instead of chicken! Oh, that would be so yummy! 

Winter might not be my favorite time of year, but warm, hearty, comfort food meals help to make it better! Turn on the Christmas tree, grab a blanket, and enjoy a big bowl of this deliciousness!


 

Copycat Bob Evans Chicken and Noodles

3 boneless chicken breasts, about 2 lbs.

2 (32 oz.) cartons chicken stock

1 (16 oz.) bag frozen home style noodles, like Reames

1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped

4 carrots, finely chopped

3 celery stalks, finely chopped

2 TBS butter

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. garlic powder

2 tsp. dried parsley 

Salt and pepper 

Place all ingredients, except noodles, in slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours until chicken cooked. Remove chicken and shred. Return to slow cooker and cook 1 hour. Add noodles and cook 30-45 minutes until tender. Serve.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! I will be making it tonight for tomorrow!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Krista said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!