Everyday Mom's Meals: Two Favorites One Simple Game Day Treat
_____

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Two Favorites One Simple Game Day Treat

 Every time I post a recipe that mentions "game day" I always get comments about "We don't watch much football, do you think this would work for a supper idea too?" 

Let me clear, 99% of my recipes are absolutely adaptable to your needs. Just because my family is a football watching, pigskin loving group doesn't mean I don't realize not everyone is. Likewise, if I post a recipe that I think would be a terrific game day treat or tailgating fare, chances are it would be just as tasty weeknight meal too! You make it when you want to. How will I ever know? 

In fact, the recipe I'm posting today screams football season to me. Chili. Sliders. Those are game day staples. But I tested this recipe over the summer, and guess what. It was our supper that night! 

If you've never had Cincinnati style chili, you need to prepare yourself for an entirely different experience. It's use of Mediterranean spices give it an unique flavor profile. It can be served as is, but is also served over spaghetti, baked potatoes and of course hot dogs. The restaurant chain Skyline has made it famous, and the day it came to our city, we were thrilled. We love this stuff so much I even created a pretty close copycat recipe I make in the slow cooker all fall/winter long. 

For this recipe I actually used the canned Skyline chili you can find in the grocery store. I had a can of it sitting in the pantry and I was looking for a new way to top some slider burgers. Two favorites came together in a simple burger supper that we loved. Like I said, this was back in the summer so we grilled our sliders, but you could cook them whatever way works for you. We grill year round, but an indoor grill or even baking would work too! 

I know without a doubt I will making these again soon so we can eat them in front of the television while we cheer on our favorites team(s)! But like so many of my recipes, football isn't required to enjoy them, just an extra bonus for us! 

 

Cincinnati Chili Sliders

2 lbs. ground beef

1 (15 oz.) can Skyline Chili, or 2 cups leftover homemade, warmed

1 medium white onion, finely chopped

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

3 tsp. seasoning salt

Black Pepper

Slider Buns

Score ground beef with knife or back of your hand into 12 equals portions. (My packages were 1 pound each, so each was scored into 6 sections) Form 2 inch patties, leaving an indention in the middle with your thumb. Sprinkle with seasoning salt and black pepper. Preheat grill to high and grease. Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side to sear. Lower heat to medium low and continue cooking, and flipping until cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Place each slider on a bun. Top with shredded cheese, chili and onion. *NOTE* If using canned chili, remove the extra liquid in a colander before using to avoid extra moisture.




No comments: