Everyday Mom's Meals: Copycat Lunch At Home Or Office
_____

Sunday, September 5, 2021

Copycat Lunch At Home Or Office

Do you ever think about something you used to eat often, out of nowhere, and wonder why you aren't anymore? You start to drool just thinking about it, and know you must have it ASAP. 

That's exactly what happened with this recipe. Applebee's used to be somewhere I ate lunch at quite a bit; and more times than not their Oriental Chicken Salad was my choice. 

I can't even tell you the last time I ate at Applebee's, let alone for lunch. I have no earthly idea why this salad popped into my head one day and would not leave until I satisfied the craving. 

Sure, I could have driven the 10 minutes down the road, grabbed a curbside to-go order and been happy, but lately I have found myself obsessed with creating these copycat recipes in my own kitchen.

I can't even blame the pandemic or not wanting to eat out, because we have continued to over the last 18 months. I just find it super satisfying to give my family a dish we usually have to go out for at home around our own table. We love comparing them to the original and seeing just how close mom got it. 

I don't want to pay myself on the back, but with this one I NAILED IT! (In the good way, not like the hilarious show we love to laugh with!) The flavors are spot on, and if I closed my eyes I would never be able to guess the difference. 

How did I come up with such a carbon copy? Well, I did a lot of reading online about what was in the dressing most of all. The actual salad ingredients were easy to remember, but that dressing was key! After seeing a slew of recipes online, I took the basic ideas of many and found something that suited my tastes. 

The number one ingredient to give the dressing the signature flavor is sesame oil. You can find it on the Asian aisle in the grocery store. Be careful, a little goes a long way, and it can be very overpowering. The amount in the recipe is perfect for us, but you could always start with less and add more to suit your taste buds. 

Yes, I used frozen breaded chicken tenders to make this a quick and simple meal, but you could certainly make your own. Grilled chicken would be delicious too! 

This salad makes a tasty, filling lunch year round rather you're still working from home or back in the office. You could easily pack the salad, dressing and toppings separately and assemble at lunch time. 

We even love this for a light supper on a busy day! The chicken makes it hearty enough to feed my hungry crowd. I add some crusty bread on the side and I've got some happy campers!

 

Copycat Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad

3 romaine hearts, chopped

1 medium head purple cabbage, finely chopped or shredded

1 cup shredded carrots

4 green onions, chopped

1/2 cup crunchy chow mein noodles

1/3 cup slivered almonds

1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained

8 frozen extra crispy chicken tenders

1 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup rice vinegar

6 TBS honey

1 TBS dijon mustard

1/2 tsp. sesame oil

Cook the chicken tenders according to package directions, adding a few minutes for extra crispiness. While the chicken cooks, in a large bowl combine lettuce, cabbage, green onions, almonds and carrots. Toss well to mix. In a small bowl whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, sesame oil and mustard. When chicken is cooked, allow to cool until it can be handles. Chop into bite sized chunks. Divide lettuce mixture among 4 large dinner plates. Top with chicken, crunchy noodles and oranges. Serve with dressing.

Shared at Weekend Potluck


No comments: