Everyday Mom's Meals: New Year, New Side
_____

Sunday, January 24, 2021

New Year, New Side

 Which part of your daily dinner do you struggle with the most when planning? Main dishes are usually pretty quick to think of for me, and then the sides are sometimes where I stumble. Certain meals will always have the same sides included (If we're having spaghetti, a salad and bread are sure bets) but other times I want to switch things up. Find new side dishes to keep the menu plan fresh and new. 

So when I find a way to take an old favorite veggie and serve it in a new, tasty, and in this case, super cheesy way, I score major wife/mom points! 

We are big cauliflower fans, but I will fully admit I'm not very creative with it. If it's fresh, it's usually on a veggie tray. And if it served alongside our dinner time meal, it's a bag of frozen that has been steamed, with a little butter on it. I know, boring. But this recipe changes all that! 

Perfect with pork, chicken, or steak, this dish is super versatile. You could even double the recipe and make it a meat free main dish! 

Let's talk about the cheese for a second. I am the queen of pre-shredded bagged cheeses. I use them in almost all of my cooking. But this time I took the extra few minutes to shred my own; and it makes a huge difference! When you shred your own block of cheese, it melts more evenly, and has richer flavor. In no way am I dissing the convenience of the other, and will certainly continue to use it, but for certain dishes, it is definitely worth the extra effort! 

Since the beginning of the new year, I have been in new recipe recipe mode, and this is most definitely one of the favorites I've made. All three boys raved about it and have already requested it again! If you decide to switch up your next menu plan, and include this ooey,gooey veggie, I hope yours love it just as much!

 Cheesy Baked Cauliflower

2 large heads cauliflower, cut into florets

8 oz. block extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 c. heavy cream

1 c. grated Parmesan/Romano cheese

1 tsp. dried thyme

5 TBS butter, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp. dried parsley

Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 400. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook cauliflower for 8 minutes until just tender. Drain well. In a large greased casserole dish, place half of the cauliflower. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. thyme, salt and pepper. Pour half the cream over. Dot with half the butter. Add half the garlic. Add half the Parmesan and white cheddar cheeses. Repeat layers.  Sprinkle with dried parsley. Cook for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Allow to sit 5-7 minutes before serving.

 

Shared at Weekend Potluck
 

No comments: