Everyday Mom's Meals: Winter Blues
_____

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Winter Blues

 I don't know about you, but this time of year is VERY hard on me. I love the holidays so much, and there is always so much anticipation and lead up to those special weeks. Once the decorations come down, and the cold, dark, dismal days of winter set in, I tend to get a little blue. I have a birthday to look forward to in February, but not until the next to last day, so those weeks between always seem like the longest ones of the year. 

If you live in the Midwest, but don't enjoy the cold or snow is there any upside to winter at all? Not much, but one of my salvations this time of year is definitely the fact that it is soup season

I never tire of finding new soup recipes. We have favorites that are go-tos of course, but any time I can try a brand new one (at least to us) I am always game. 

A friend and I were talking about how much take out we've done since the pandemic began. As I've said before, I feel like helping the restaurant industry is one small thing we can do to help keep people and businesses afloat, so we've really stepped it up in the last 10 months. Anyway, she was telling me there isn't a Panera close to them so she started making her version of their broccoli cheese soup. Well, you know I had to have that recipe. 

This bowl of deliciousness can be on your table in about 45 minutes, so it is perfect after a long day when you are starving but don't have the energy. Add some crusty bread and your favorite salad on the side and call it dinner! Or make it a soup and sandwich combo night! 

If you love copycat recipes as much as me, you will be so pleased with how close to the original this one tastes. Plus, it's yet another soup to help us get through this winter and give us a little happy in the bleak that is January!

Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup

3 medium broccoli crowns, chopped

1 small white onion, diced

1 cup matchstick carrots

2 c. half and half

4 c. chicken broth

5 TBS butter

1/4 c. flour

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Salt and Pepper 

Shredded Marbled Cheddar, for serving

 In a large stockpot over medium heat saute onions in 1 TBS butter until soft. Remove. Melt remaining butter. Whisk flour into butter and cook about 5 minutes. Slowly add 2 cups broth and half and half. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Add onions, broccoli, carrots and remaining chicken stock. Stir. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until veggies are tender crisp. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper and shredded sharp cheddar. Stir until cheese is melted and serve. Serve with marbled cheddar and crusty bread if desired. 

Inspired by Recipe Critic

Shared at Weekend Potluck


No comments: