Everyday Mom's Meals: Don't Let The Name Scare You
_____

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Don't Let The Name Scare You

 When I told my boys I was making this recipe, I got some weird looks, to say the least! Frog Eye Salad? They really thought mom had lost her mind, and were very relieved to learn no actual frogs were harmed in the making of this dish! 

By now all of you know I have enough fluff salad recipes we could eat them all summer long, and maybe never repeat! From classic and retro ones like Ambrosia to new and fun creations like my Cookies & Cream Fluff, we love them all! 

This would definitely fall into the retro category, and I bet if you asked your parents, or grandparents, they remember if fondly from back in the day. I know my dad certainly did! 

There is nothing to be scared of, the little round bits that give it such a fun/unique name are simply small pasta. Acini de Pepe pasta to be exact. You can find it in the same aisle as all the other dry pasta, usually in a small box on a top shelf. 

I will be honest, when first heard about this salad, I though the "eyes" were actually tapioca. So I was a little shocked to learn it is made with pasta. Pasta, in a sweet , creamy dessert? Might sound strange, but I promise it works! 

In these crazy times we find ourselves, sometimes going back in time with retro recipes can be comforting. Plus, if you tell the kids their dessert has "frog eyes" in it, they might be even more inclined to eat it. Let's face it, kids love gross things. 

If you're still planning your Labor Day Cookout menu, save room for this! I promise you will hear "Oh, my grandma used to make this" more times than you can count!

 Frog Eye Salad

1 c. Acini de Pepe Pasta

1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip

1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained

1 (20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, juice reserved

2 (11 oz.) cans mandarin oranges, drained

3/4 c. sweetened shredded coconut

1 c. pineapple juice, from canned pineapple

1/2 c. sugar

1 TBS flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg, beaten

1/2 TBS lemon juice

1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows

 Cook pasta according to pasta directions. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Let pasta cool while preparing rest of recipe. In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, combine pineapple juice, sugar, flour, salt and egg. Cook and stir constantly until mixture is smooth and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool.When pasta and sauce mixture are cool, mix together in a large bowl. Add pineapple tidbits, crushed pineapple and oranges, marshmallows and coconut. Mix well. Fold in Cool Whip. Chill until ready to serve, several hours. 

 

Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: