Everyday Mom's Meals: No Tomatoes? No Problem!
_____

Sunday, August 30, 2020

No Tomatoes? No Problem!

 A few weeks ago, I shared my Copycat Chili's Queso with you, and today, we are rounding out the perfect Chili's experience with a tasty make at home version of their salsa. 

I could literally drink Chili's salsa with a straw, so I am super excited to be able to have it in my own kitchen any time I want, without having to order take out!

You want to know the biggest recipe I love salsa recipes like this so much? The use of canned tomatoes. My go-to Restaurant Style Salsa recipe is the same way, and it is always a hit no matter what time of year I serve it. 

I know so many of you are enjoying your summer garden's bounty of tomatoes, but some of us aren't as lucky. Okay, so Max actually did grow a couple of tomato plants in pots this summer, and is oh so proud every time one ripens, but they are tiny, and few and far between. (We won't tell him though. Mommy is always super excited when he brings me one!) It would just take a ton to make a batch of salsa. 

But the beauty of this recipe is with canned tomatoes, you aren't at the mercy of mother nature, and you can whip it up for any Mexican night supper, even if the snow is falling! (Shudder...I don't even want to think about that yet!) 

I actually learned years ago many restaurants use canned tomatoes for their salsa, and ever since, it has become easier and easier to recreate their recipes at home. Thank goodness too, because I am a chips and salsa fanatic, and have passed that addiction onto both of my sons.

 The biggest difference in flavor in this one from others is the addition of cumin. That little hint of smokiness really sets it apart from not only other restaurant recipes, but my own. 

With the Labor Day holiday weekend coming up, and football/tailgating season (no matter how different it might look) just around the corner, this is sure to become a favorite in your house too!

 Copycat Chili's Salsa

1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chilies, with juice

1 (14.5 oz.) can whole tomatoes, with juice

1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped

1/2 jalapeno pepper, coarsely chopped 

1 tsp. garlic salt

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cumin

1/4 tsp. sugar

Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well combined. Stir, checking for large pieces. Pulse again. Transfer to a bowl. Chill, covered, for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve with limes if desired.

 


 

No comments: