Everyday Mom's Meals: Mom & Son Date
_____

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mom & Son Date

My baby boy, my first born, has 3 weeks of school left. I don't know who is more excited. We are SO ready to be done. But there is only one downside. That Friday, at 11:45 when the final bell rings for summer, it will mean I am the mother of a FRESHMAN. Seriously, I can't even say the word without a tear coming to my eye and getting a little choked up.

I'm pretty sure he was just graduating preschool, and now by month's end, he will be standing before his class, family and friends and delivering the Salutatorian address for 2019. Oh yeah, did I mention that? He finished #2 in his class, missing the top spot by less than 1 point! Plus, his school nominated him for an Distinguished Student Award given my a local association. As his principal said "Alex exemplifies what we strive for. Academic Excellence, Spiritual Development, and Being a Service to Others." We could not be more proud of him, and are so excited to have his hard work acknowledged and praised!

So, you can understand why Mommy is a little weepy with the thought of the end of the school year. High school is going to bring a whole new world, and he's just going to keep getting bigger, maturing, growing up, and lots busier.

I am so blessed he still wants to hang out with me, and have special days with Mom. Some quality time, just the two of us. I treasure every minute. And normally those days always include a great meal at a favorite restaurant.

One of our go-to places is Chili's. Mr. E doesn't really enjoy their food, so we reserve it for just the two of us. The last time we went this was what we both chose to order, without even realizing we were eyeing the same dish. We loved it at first bite, and I knew I needed to recreate it at home.

This version takes a little help from the store, but feel free to make a homemade Alfredo if you wish. I love my recipe for it, and would have if I had a little more time.

Going into high school, and turning 15 in the fall. I just can't believe that applies to my baby. Yes, he will always be my baby. And as long as he wants to have "dates" with his old mom...I will jump at the chance.

Cajun Chicken Pasta
2 lb. penne pasta, cooked to al dente, drained
2 (15 oz.) jars Alfredo sauce
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 lbs. fresh chicken tenders
2 TBS plus 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
Dried Parsley
2 TBS vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper taste

Preheat grill to high. Mix chicken, 2 TBS Cajun seasoning, oil, salt and pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Spray grill with nonstick spray. Place chicken on grill and cook for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook, turning often, for about 15 minutes. Remove and keep warm.

While pasta cooks, place Alfredo sauce in a large sauce pan. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat, stirring often. Add 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning and stir well. When pasta is drained, add to sauce and stir well. Sprinkle with a little extra Cajun seasoning. Place chicken on top of pasta. Sprinkle with tomatoes and parsley. 



Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: