Everyday Mom's Meals: No Peeking
_____

Sunday, April 7, 2019

No Peeking


I love when a recipe is so similar to something we already love I can feel pretty confident it will be a success, but still different enough I don't feel like I am falling into a meal rut.

I have been making my Grammy's Chicken on Rice Casserole for years, and it is not only a tried and true one pan wonder, it is a favorite we look forward to every time.

So when a friend gave me a recipe her family had been raving about, and I saw it was pretty much the same concept with a few different flavors, I just had to try it.

Now, usually when a recipe says not to look while cooking, I totally ignore it. I look. I peek. I can't help myself. I guess I am just a rebel like that. But not this time. I followed the directions, and did not open that oven door until the timer buzzed!

It's very important you do the same. With the rice cooking, any change in temperature (like when you open the oven door) can cause it to not cook evenly, or be underdone altogether.

If you're looking for more one pot/pan wonders, make sure this one goes to the top of the list. It has huge amounts of flavor, with only a little effort, which is a win win! Just remember, NO peeking!

No Peek Chicken
2 lbs. boneless chicken tenders
2 c. long grain rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 c. water
1 TBS dried parsley, extra for garnish
1 envelope onion soup mix
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. In a large bowl combine water, soups, rice, salt, pepper and parsley. Stir well to combine. Transfer to baking dish. Lay chicken on top. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with onion soup mix. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes until rice is tender. Garnish with extra parsley and stir rice before serving. *NOTES* My package of chicken had 12 pieces in it. For extra flavor, swap out the water for broth or stock!




No comments: