Everyday Mom's Meals: Do I Have to Cook?
_____

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Do I Have to Cook?

There is a little myth about food bloggers that I believe it's time to debunk. See, we are just like all of you. As much as we love being in the kitchen, as much as we love cooking, as much as we love what we do, there are days when quite simply, the thought of cooking makes us want to cry. 

Whether is be because of exhaustion, a busy schedule, or pure laziness, there are times when if we could either pay someone to come cook for us, or afford to go out, we would. But alas, when this mood hits me, 9 times out of 10 I gather the will and head into the kitchen. Sure there are times when I allow the mood to overtake me and totally flake out, but most of the time I overcome. 

Last week when this dilemma hit me, it was after a long, HOT day when the only thing I wanted to do was sit in my comfy chair, enjoy the AC and "veg" so to speak. I racked my brain on how I could get out of cooking, but no good solution came to mind, so there I was standing over the stove. 

But the story has a happy ending. Why? Because this is what I was cooking, and seriously, it was a no effort type of meal. Open cans, dump. Chop a few veggies. Brown beef. Stir. Cook. The end. It is that easy! A one pot wonder that can be on the table in about 30 minutes and your family will love. My boys couldn't get enough of this. There were second and third helpings that night. 

The next time the urge to skip cooking hits you, don't feel bad. Even us "professionals" feel that way time to time. But maybe, just maybe, you can find the will to do it anyway, and make this. Or, call for pizza...yeah, we've done that too!

Taco Rice Skillet
1 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 c. long grain white rice
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped 
1 c. salsa
1 c. water
1 c. beef broth
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp.chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. cumin
1 c. shredded taco blend cheese
1 green onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, brown beef with peppers and onions. When cooked, add tomatoes, chilies, beans, salsa, water and broth. Stir well. Add garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir again. Add rice. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender. Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheese. Return lid until cheese melts. Garnish with onions.







Shared at Weekend Potluck
 


Recipe Inspired By Sweet C's Designs

No comments: