Everyday Mom's Meals: Autumn Food...Summer Temps
_____

Friday, September 4, 2015

Autumn Food...Summer Temps

It's September and my brain immediately goes to all things pumpkin, apple, soup and slow cooker. I can't help it. It's not even that I'm holding my breath for fall. Ya'll know what a fan of summer I am. It's just my palate. While fall might not be my favorite season, some of the flavors/dishes it brings with it are! So the minute the calendar flips to September 1st my stomach starts screaming. Not a problem, right? Well...not technically, but kind of.

See, I happen to be getting my wish of warm weather sticking around as long as possible. And the day I decided to work on this recipe and then serve it for supper, it was around 90 degrees outside. Now, there is no cardinal rule saying you can't eat stuff like this when it's that hot outside, but my son thought I had truly lost my mind. "Mommy, whey are we having soup when it's soooo hot outside?" 

Because son, 1. mommy plans her meals before the weather forecast is predicted, and 2., Mother Nature enjoys mocking me at every turn. She sends rain in the spring when I'm ready to grill, and heat advisories when I've got something like this cooking. They say make plans, and watch God laugh...I guess that's about right. 

Either way, I'm happy I made this when I did because it needs to be on your table ASAP, and there has to be someplace in the U.S. right now that is having actual autumn-like weather. Plus, it never hurts to have a jump start on things you know you want to make at some point over the next couple months.

When I tasted this, it immediately made me think of a crisp, sunny, fall day spent at the pumpkin patch, apple orchard, or hay maze. Then coming home to something warm and comforting to enjoy while you watch some college football. Or maybe you're having friends over for a bonfire. This will keep them satisfied all night long!

September is here...and that means fall is too. Or at least it's closer than it was, even if the thermometer doesn't reflect it.

Crock Pot Chicken n Dumplings
6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 soup can water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 (5 count) cans refrigerated biscuits, torn into pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Parsley

Spray Crock Pot with nonstick spray. Lay chicken in bottom. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine soup, broth and water. Whisk well. Pour down over chicken. Add bullion cubes. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Remove chicken and either shred or chop. Return to Crock Pot. Cook on LOW for 2 more hours. Add biscuits pieces, and 1 c. water. Stir well. Make sure biscuits are submerged to avoid sticking together. Cook on HIGH for 1- 1 1/2 hours more until biscuits are cooked through. Garnish with parsley. (Total Cook Time: 7-7 1/2 hours) *NOTE* When you shred the chicken, you don't want it as fine as you might for a sandwich. You still want some pretty big pieces left. 







Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: