Everyday Mom's Meals: Any Reason For Cheese
_____

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Any Reason For Cheese

So this recipe is basically just a vessel to bring more cheese to your life. It's kind of like frosting for me. See, I like cake. But I LOVE frosting, and if the cake wasn't there, I wouldn't be upset. It's simply a vessel to get the frosting in my mouth. And this recipe is kinda like that, but with nacho cheese!

When I found this recipe for homemade nacho cheese sauce, scribbled on a piece of scrap paper, hiding in the back of my recipe box, I couldn't believe I hadn't tried it yet. I can't even tell you where I first got it, but since the paper had started to yellow it was so old, I know it was forever ago.

So I had this amazing cheese recipe I wanted to try; and sure, I could have simply served it up with some tortilla chips for dipping, but I wanted more. To do something with it extra special, extra yummy. Then the light bulb went off. Why not drizzle it over some thick cut steak fries, add some toppings and dig in??!!

I served these as a side dish for some juicy burgers hot off the grill, but I think they would be a huge hit at your next party or cookout if you served them up "nacho" style. Lay them out on a big platter, add all the toppings, and watch your guests gobble them up! And one of the great things about this sauce? As long as you keep it warm, it will stay creamy. Keep in on the stove on warm, or put it in your Crock Pot-- either way, your guests can enjoy it for hours.

We are cheese lovers, and obviously will do anything for any reason to be able to eat it. But truthfully, this delicious sauce really would be yummy with some tortilla chips on the side too.

Loaded Steak Fries
1 (32 oz.) package frozen steak fries, or homemade
Chopped green onions
Real Bacon Bits
French Fry Seasoning, to taste

Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 c. milk
1 ( 8 oz.) block sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4-1/2 tsp. hot sauce, to taste
Salt to taste

Cook steak fries according to package directions. Add 5-7 minutes of cooking time, under the broiler to brown and crisp. In a large non stick skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and whisk until light blonde roux. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and stir until thickened. Add salt and hot sauce. Whisk to combine. Add cheese in batches, whisking between each until smooth. Keep over warm until fries are cooked. Once fries done, sprinkle with french fry seasoning. Transfer to a platter, drizzle with cheese sauce and sprinkle with green onions and bacon bits.  *NOTE* French Fry Seasoning is a blend you can find on the spice aisle. If you can't find it, seasoning salt or an all purpose seasoning would work too.







Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: