Everyday Mom's Meals: Lettuce Eat Spinach
_____

Monday, May 18, 2015

Lettuce Eat Spinach

Do you like spinach? We love the stuff. Can't get enough. It's delicious. Aren't convinced yet? I'm here to change that.

First off, let me explain, while we enjoy spinach cooked into dishes, our absolute favorite way to eat it is raw. In salads and as a substitute for lettuce on sandwiches, both are equally yummy. We are the people at Subway that don't want the shredded iceberg, but instead spinach...and extra please! Oh, and let me add, when I say "we" that includes the 10 years old. He loves his dark leafy greens, and as a mom, that makes me so happy.

So when I decided I wanted to develop a pasta salad recipe based on our favorite sandwich in the whole world, but didn't want to use regular lettuce, I immediately knew exactly what I could use instead. Our trusty friend, spinach. It's a crisp, green and has leaves...sounds like lettuce qualities to me!

Guys, I'm not kidding when I say I LOVE this stuff! Seriously, it's going to be this summer's must make dish. I can easily see myself making this over and over the next few months. For picnics, cookouts, barbecues, or just a side dish for supper. And if you think it's going to make too big of a batch for you, make it anyway! The leftovers make fantastic lunches all week long!

If you think spinach is "yucky" or that you don't enjoy it, I encourage you to try it again. Keep trying until you find that one thing you love it in. It's so good for you after all. Maybe this can be your "a-ha" spinach moment!

BLT Pasta Salad
1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked
6 strips bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
3/4 c. cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 cups spinach, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 c. mayo
3 TBS chili sauce
1 tsp. sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a small bowl whisk together mayo, chili sauce, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. When pasta is cooked, rinse with cold water and drain well. In a large bowl combine pasta, tomatoes, bacon, onions and spinach. Toss to combine. Pour dressing over. Gently stir to combine. Chill at least one hour before serving.






Shared at Weekend Potluck

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Oh, Yum. I love cold salads in the hot summer months and I know if my hubby doesn't see me add the spinach I know he will eat it and like it. If he ask, I'll just tell him that it's the 'new' lettuce. :}
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Will be getting the ingredients this weekend; bacon and spinach....(the new kind of lettuce)