Everyday Mom's Meals: Another Early One For The Masses
_____

Friday, November 7, 2014

Another Early One For The Masses

Here I go again. Breaking the rules. Uh oh...right? Wrong! They are my rules, so I guess I can break them if I want. See, I'm talking about the rule of thumb I have for the blog about being approximately two weeks "out" (as I like to call it) when I test recipes. Meaning, when I try something new, it is about 14 days usually before you see it on here. 

But a couple weeks ago when I shared a preview pic of my Cowboy Spaghetti Casserole, so many of you were begging for the recipe, I decided to share it early. Well, if I thought the masses were calling out for that one, it was nothing compared to when I shared a sneak peek picture of this one. Ya'll were coming out of the woodwork loving it, and pleading with me to share it early. Well, I can only take so much peer pressure before I cave, so here you go! 

You've heard me say it before, but for all the new readers out there, let me repeat myself one more time. Casseroles can be a busy mom's best friend! They are hearty meals that require little effort and/or planning, and are always a hit with the crowd. Plus, many times (like this one) they can be made with things from the pantry and on a very low budget. If you have a lot of mouths to feed, this one will fill them up and stretch a buck! 

I love all the extra protein you get in this one with the addition of beans. For me, that means I can use less red meat, and still fill satisfied after eating it. And satisfied we were! We all went back for seconds and ate until we were ready to burst.

I can't guarantee I will always be able to break the rules and share recipes earlier than I planned. After all, I did make those rules with myself for a reason; and I can't be a total rebel. But if there are times I can make your wish my command, I will certainly try! 

Southwest Casserole
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. elbow macaroni
1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4 oz.) can green chilies
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 c. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
Salt and Pepper to taste
Chopped green onions for garnish

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cook macaroni to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet brown beef until no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, chilies, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain macaroni. Add to beef mixture. Stir well. Transfer to baking dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, add cheese and cook 10 additional minutes until melted and bubbly. Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with green onions. 






Shared at The Country Cook Nov. 7, 2014



Disclaimer: As a Field Editor of Taste of Home, I share my own thoughts and opinions of this recipe. I am not a paid employee.

5 comments:

The Better Baker said...

OOO LA LA!!! This sounds like something my hubby would LOVE. Pinning AND printing. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. We <3 your recipes!

The Better Baker said...

I know my hubby would LOVE this dish. Thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck. This one received MOST CLICKS from last week's party...definitely a keeper, and I will be making it soon. Keep 'em comin!http://www.thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2014/11/no-bake-peanut-butter-pie-weekend.html

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being featured on Weekend Potluck today! :) http://4littlefergusons.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/weekend-potluck-144-2/

Anonymous said...

Any suggestions on replacing the macaroni with rice?

Krista said...

I don't think this would hold up very well with rice instead of macaroni, but if you want to try it, I would definitely use brown and have it precooked. Maybe around 2 cups.