Everyday Mom's Meals: Weeknight Rush
_____

Friday, October 11, 2013

Weeknight Rush

Is it just me or are the weeknights becoming more and more rushed? Between homework, after school activities and every day life, I am pretty sure the hours between 3:30 and 8 pm are some of the busiest in my life. So, it's so nice when I can come up with a meal that is quick, tasty and has us going back out the door on time!

You've heard me say it before, but I think it bears repeating. Casseroles are a mom's best friend. I know many people turn their noses up at just the word, but to me, if I can put a bunch of things into one pan, throw it in the oven and in about 30 minutes have dinner on the table, I am a happy mama. Sure, there are some casseroles out there that were simply never meant to be, most likely because someone started throwing ingredients together that had no business being paired, but those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I mean the ones that are made up of things we already love, that compliment each other, and simply make sense hanging out in one simple dish.

Tacos. We love them. Taco fixins'. We love those too. So why not take everything I would normally have out for a "taco bar", and see what kind of casserole I can make? See, this is my thought process. And I know I'm not the first one to have this crazy notion.

So here is a simple, delicious Mexican casserole perfect for any crazy, crammed full of things to do, weeknight! Adapt it with your favorite ingredients. Have the kids help pick out what things they want in it. Easy, yummy and fun for the whole family. I told you a good casserole is a mom's best friend!

Taco Casserole
1 lb. ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 (16 oz.) can refried black beans with onion and garlic
1 (16 oz.) jar mild chunky salsa
1 green pepper, chopped
1 (2.2 oz) can sliced black olives
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped, divided
1 c. shredded taco cheese
Shredded Lettuce
Tortilla Chips, slightly crushed

Preheat oven to 350. Add enough broken tortilla chips to bottom of 9x13 dish to cover. In a large skillet brown beef until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning, stir well. Add beans and salsa. Stir well. Cook 5-7 minutes to allow flavors to combine. Add to top of chips. Spread evenly. Add green pepper and 2/3 chopped tomato. Sprinkle top with cheese and black olives. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese melts. Top with rest of tomato, lettuce and more broken chips.



Shared on The Country Cook Oct. 11, 2013


No comments: