Everyday Mom's Meals: First Day Supper

Friday, August 31, 2012

First Day Supper

Every year when Monkey heads back to school I try to find something extra special for that evening's supper made with just him in mind. That can be a one of his all time favorites or something new I know he will love. This year, after his first day of 2nd grade, the latter was what I chose because I had been saving a recipe to try since my blogger friend Melissa, from Served Up With Love, had shared them at my Church Supper a few weeks back.

Monkey loves Corn Dogs, but I'm not going to lie to you, they intimidate me! It's not that I don't think I could make them correctly, it is because most of the ones Monkey has eaten in his lifetime have come from fairs; and let's be honest, there is no better corn dog on earth than one at a county fair or street festival.So I just don't think any I make at home will live up to his standards!

Exhibit A. Enjoying a fresh corn dog at Berne Swiss Days in July
However, when I saw these I knew they would be a great substitution and way to enjoy the same flavors in a different form. This way he couldn't compare because these are muffins! Not to mention I knew he would be excited to have something so fun for supper after a tiring first day of school. After all, we can all relate how hard that first day back after a vacation is! If you have corn dog lovers in your house, or are planning a kiddie party soon, be sure to remember these! The only thing better than eating something from a stick is eating something made with love from Mommy!

First Day of 2nd Grade

Corn Dog Muffins
2 boxes corn muffin mix
2 eggs
2/3 c. milk (Check your box to see egg and milk amounts)
6 hot dogs, sliced
Cooking spray

Prepare muffin mix according to box directions. Add hot dogs and stir to combine. Spray muffin tins w/ cooking spray. Fill each space half way with the muffin mixture. Bake according to box directions. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping.

Makes 12-14 muffins

Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 31, 2012
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Sept. 4, 2012
Kids at Very Good Recipes
Pin It


amandak23k said...

Berne Swiss Days! You must be in Indiana like me!

Krista said...

Yes I am. Born and raised. We live in Fort Wayne :)

Served up with Love said...

Krista I am so glad you got to try these and they were a hit! I love how simple they are to do. Thanks for the shout out! Have a great weekend!!

Krista said...

Thanks! They were perfect. Have a great holiday!