Everyday Mom's Meals: Use It Before You Lose It
_____

Friday, April 8, 2011

Use It Before You Lose It

In my case, that is referring to the cookbook I gave away during my last contest. I have yet to mail out the prize to our lucky winner Emily ( I promise I haven't forgotten, but a wedding in FL last weekend, and Spring Break this week, I've been a little occupied.) But to be honest, I'm glad it isn't sitting in a post office quite yet b/c there are a couple recipes out of it that I have to write down before I give it up, and today's is one of them. When I first looked through this book and decided it would be the perfect prize, this was the first recipe that caught my eye and made me say "mmmmm" I have to try that. We're big pasta eaters in this house, you all know that by now. But I tire of anything we have too much, and our favorites are included in that. So any time I can find a new twist on something we already like, or a way to incorporate new flavors, I'm all for it. This uses one of our favorite veggies as well, asparagus and something Adam and I both enjoy tremendously, artichokes. So when you are combining 3 of your favorite things together on one plate, it has to be scrumptious, right!!??

Fusilli with Asparagus and Artichokes

1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. asparagus, rinsed, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 lb. thin sliced salami or prosciutto
1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and cut into quarters
1/2 c. fresh parsley
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 TBS lemon juice
8 oz. fusilli
Grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Add onion, asparagus, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add the meat and artichoke hearts and cook for 1 minute. Add lemon juice and parsley. Cover and remove from heat. When pasta is cooked, drain and cover w/ sauce and top w/ cheese.

*NOTE* I would double this to feed our family. Except the onion. And I would use 1 1/2 lb asparagus.
I would also add 1 lb. mushrooms when I add in the onion

No comments: