Everyday Mom's Meals: My Boy Is Home
_____

Sunday, March 15, 2020

My Boy Is Home


Like so many of you, we are facing a month off school. Welcome to the world of Covid19. I am NOT dedicating an entire post to this scary time, the cause, the hysteria, the fear. We are all getting inundated with that 24/7. But I am offering what I do best (at least in the blogosphere)...food!

For those of you who follow me on Facebook, I announced yesterday that for the next few weeks (Monday-Friday) every day at 9am EST, I will be sharing a kid friendly recipe to help get your kids into the kitchen and engaged. I love using food to teach things like math, and kids get such a great sense of accomplishment when their little hands help make something they get to eat.

My son's high school is actually doing remote learning every day from 8:30-1, which is different from e learning. Many are utilizing that method, and our biggest school corp in the city is unable to do any of that (too many kids without devices or access to internet). So while many of our kids are still learning during this mass shut down, others won't. So I thought maybe cooking would be a fun way to get them learning, and they might not even notice.

I've actually been waiting to share this recipe until closer to spring and warm weather, but I decided it would be a fantastic one to post now. Only 3 ingredients, it's a great one for the kids to help with. Don't worry about making them as pretty as mine! Let them measure, mix, assemble. If they are too little for any that, they love to watch and taste test!

I am very blessed to be in the position to be home with my kids; and having the oldest home for the next month makes me smile (not the circumstances, of course, but getting to hug his neck more) My heart goes out to all of you scrambling to figure out childcare.

There isn't much I can do to help, but I thought maybe a simple, fun and yummy activity to fill some of the day might put a smile on faces when we need it most.

Easy Strawberry Mousse
12.5 oz. frozen sliced strawberries, thawed or fresh
1/2 c. white sugar
1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip, 1/4 cup reserved

Place berries and sugar in food processor. Pulse into a puree, with small pieces remaining. Pour into large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup. Fold in Cool Whip. Divide 1/2 cup puree evenly among 4 dessert cups. Divide mousse mixture into cups. Chill several hours to set. Top with extra Cool Whip.


No comments: