Everyday Mom's Meals: Straight Out Of The Pantry
_____

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Straight Out Of The Pantry

I am a big meal planner. Every week I make a list of suppers I will be making, use that to make my grocery list, and then have a game plan for every night of the week. It's the way I've always done it. But sometimes, even my plan goes astray and I have to think quick on my feet.

A few weeks ago when I went to prep supper, I realized I had forgotten to buy literally 80% of what I needed for the meal I wanted to make. I have absolutely no clue how it happened, but there I was. Just a girl, standing in front of the fridge, pantry and freezer hoping for a meal to appear. Or at least some inspiration. Thank goodness it finally did! I got a new delicious soup supper to share with all of you!

Another chicken and noodle recipe? Don't worry, this one is a little different than anything I've shared before.

Now, let's talk condensed soups for a second. I will admit, I use them often, quite often, in a ton of recipes. They are a great shortcut and I've never been bothered by the stigma they sometimes get. But I know there are many of you who are trying to watch your sodium intake, or for whatever other reasons, don't like to use them. No fear. I am hear to help with that too!

Check out this article I wrote for Parade! In this collection you will find some terrific DIY seasoning blends, dips and dressings (also great if you're watching your ingredients) AND a homemade version of the condensed soups! Easily swap them out in any recipe that calls for the canned variety for a healthier choice.

Back to my new soup though. I started grabbing things I had on hand to make sure my boys had a yummy supper, and in about an hour we did! Seriously, roasting the chicken took more time than anything! And those condensed soups? They give it an extra layer of flavor, and semi-creamy texture.

Be sure to serve them right away as those noodles are going to suck up any broth in the pot. And if you reheat it, add a little water too! However, if you want a "chicken and noodles" meal instead of a soup, per say, simply turn off the heat, leave the pot covered and let the broth be soaked up! Either way, it's delicious!

I have to have my meal plan to function on a daily basis; but I was pretty proud of myself for shooting from the hip on this one and the new, tasty meal I made. Next time though, I will plan for it!

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
2 lbs. boneless chicken tenders
2 TBS vegetable oil
Garlic Powder
2 (32 oz.) boxes chicken broth
2 c. water
2 cubes chicken bouillon
2 celery ribs, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
2 TBS butter
1 lb. medium egg noodles
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 TBS dried parsley
Salt and Pepper 

Preheat oven to 350. Baste chicken with oil. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes until juices run clear. Shred. 

In a large stock pot over medium high heat saute carrots, onion, and celery in butter until soft. Add cooked chicken, broth, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook until tender. Reduce heat to simmer.  Stir in both cans of soup and parsley. Cook about 5 minutes to warm through. 

No comments: