Everyday Mom's Meals: Welcome September
_____

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Welcome September

Yes, it's hard to believe, but September is upon us. My son looked at me Saturday night and said "Mom, can you believe the 4th of July was almost two months ago?"

Seriously, when you think of it like that the time flies bye even faster than normal. Let's face it, summer lasts about 38 days and the cold months drag on for 904 days, if we are lucky!

I've said it before, but let me reiterate it once more. I actually don't mind autumn. I enjoy the colors, the fun activities, the decor (yes, my pumpkins and scarecrows are already displayed!) and of course, the flavors. And I don't even shun the weather. Here in Indiana, we will still have some truly warm and sunny days through October. But it's what comes after fall I dread. The cold. The snow. The ice. The gray. The blah. But hey, it's not here yet, so let's not dwell on it.

I figured with the beginning of September, and a new season, we would celebrate with a classic fall flavor. Cinnamon. Sure, we can't get enough of apple and pumpkin too, but if you think about it, what is paired with both of those in many, many dishes? Yep, cinnamon.

These are my way of bringing a little of summer with me to fall. See, they are inspired by a summertime country fair staple. The elephant ear. Fried dough sprinkled with cinnamon sugar is something so popular the lines will wind around any junk food alley.

So who says we can't have some of that yumminess as the leaves begin to turn? These are great for a quick breakfast, lunchbox treat or sweet treat after a favorite fall meal. Super easy, moist and oh so good!

I might not be able to stop summer from eventually fading away, but I can make sure to enjoy all the warm days we have left and dream of them once they are gone with some delicious muffins!

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins
1 c. flour
1/2 c. + 1 TBS sugar, divided use
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 TBS + 1 tsp. cinnamon, divided use
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375. Line 8 muffin tin wells with papers or grease well. In a large bowl combine flour, 1/2 c. sugar, baking powder, 1/2 TBS cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl whisk together milk, oil, and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir, just until combined. Divide mixture evenly in muffin tin wells. In a small bowl combine 1 TBS sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of batter. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Store covered.



Shared at Weekend Potluck
Shared at Meal Plan Monday

No comments: