Everyday Mom's Meals: Holiday Inspired
_____

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Holiday Inspired

Back at Christmas, we celebrated with our aunt and uncle, also Max's godparents, with a delicious meal. Alex had actually went through her recipe box a few months before and found this chicken recipe he asked her to make; and we are all so happy he did!

That same night, I learned something new. This breaded chicken was served with a fantastic creamy, mushroom gravy.  I asked how she went about making it. She told me "I just use mushroom gravy mix." Immediately in my head I started to think about all the packets of gravy mix I had seen, and didn't recall a mushroom one. Do you know what she meant? Yep. A can of cream of mushroom soup! Sure, I know how much it's used in cooking, especially casseroles, but I had never heard it referred to as a gravy mix. I kind of felt sheepish, but was happy to heave learned something new.

Fast forward a month or so later, and while figuring out meals for the week, I wanted to try to work with what I had. Chicken tenders. Egg noodles. A can of mushroom soup. Bingo. I knew I wanted to play with the same flavors we had that night, in a new way.

If you like Beef Stroganoff, this will seem familiar to you. Think chicken instead of beef, but the mushrooms and creamy sauce are still there. It's hearty, delicious and great comfort food on a cold night.

Remember, even if you know a lot about cooking and consider yourself a "pro" (I use that term very lightly for myself, believe me) there are always new things to learn!




Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
1.5 lbs. boneless chicken tenders (my package had 12)
1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
5 TBS butter, divided use
1 small white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS flour
1 c. milk
1/2 c. whipped cream cheese
1 can cream mushroom soup
 4 TBS vegetable oil, divided use
1 TBS dried parsley, plus extra for garnish 
1 lb. egg noodles, cooked to package directions
Salt and Pepper to taste 
Garlic Powder to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Brush chicken with 2 TBS oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast for 25-30 minutes. Let cool and cut into bite size pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. In same skillet, melt 4 TBS butter. Add 2 TBS flour and whisk until well combined. Slowly pour in milk while whisking. Bring to a bubble, and cook until thickened. Add soup, cream cheese and continue whisking until smooth. Add chicken and mushroom mixture back in and cook for 15 minuets for flavors to combine. Drain egg noodles, add 1 TBS butter and 1 TBS parsley. Mix well. Serve chicken mixture over noodles.





Shared at Weekend Potluck

No comments: