Everyday Mom's Meals: Downhill From Here
_____

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Downhill From Here

So, believe it or not, but back to school is right around the corner, and I know for some of you, it's already here. Summer will wind down. Fall will be here before we know it, Halloween, the holidays...and oh look it's 2019....Happy New Year!

Okay, so maybe I'm being a little over dramatic, but I know I'm not the only one because a friend on Facebook and I just had this conversation the other day, and I have seen a few memes saying the same thing. Good to know it's not just me that feels like as soon as the school buses run again, it's just a down hill coast until next year, or at least that's how it feels.

It actually makes me so sad because you know how much I love summer, and having the boy home with my all day. Plus, with both of my babies having August and September birthdays, it only adds to mommy's depression. Needless to say I'm not ready for 2 and 14! 

But...in the spirit of taking each day as a gift, and cherishing every stage, let's talk about what the new seasons mean in food! We are going to need simple meals for those busy school nights, and not too long from now, we will need fun stuff to eat during the big game, and tailgating. And that is exactly what I've got for you today!

Sliders are all the rage right now. You probably see as many recipes for them as I do, so you know there are about a million versions; and I'm 100% on the bandwagon. I love coming up with new ones, and this is my latest idea. 

A warm ham and cheese sammy is such a classic, and these take it to a new level with some great flavor and a little kick. Don't worry if you're feeding little mouths though, they aren't too spicy for them, and you can always adjust the recipe to make sure. 

If you feel like time is flying and you're not ready for the "next" of anything either, sit down next to me. We will drown our sorrows in a yummy sandwich!
Kickin' Ham & Swiss Sliders
1 (9oz.) container smoked ham deli meat
8 sliced Swiss cheese
12 count honey slider buns
1 1/2 TBS horseradish sauce
1 TBS spicy brown mustard
1 stick butter, melted
2 TBS brown sugar
1 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 
1 TBS dried parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Spray a 9x13 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350. Remove tops of buns, but leave bottoms intact. Carefully spread horseradish sauce across bottoms. (I used a pastry brush) Lay in bottom of baking dish. Top with ham and cheese, overlapping to cover entire area. Replace bun tops. In a medium bowl whisk together butter, mustard, brown sugar, onion powder, Worcestershire, parsley, salt and pepper. Baste sandwiches liberally with sauce, making sure to get it between and along sides. Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 additional minutes. Cut sandwiches apart and serve hot. *NOTE* This is NOT prepared horseradish. Horseradish sauce can be found in the condiment aisle.








No comments: