Everyday Mom's Meals: Last Minute Idea
_____

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Last Minute Idea

Usually about twice a month I plan a potato bar for dinner. I baked off some big ol' taters, lay out a bunch of toppings and let everyone make their own. It's a fun, simple meal I don't have to think much about and everyone enjoys.

Well, a couple weeks ago, when I had planned this, I'm not sure what happened, but I forgot a few of the toppings I needed. Never even brought them home from the grocery store. I'm sure I got distracted by a free sample, or apparently couldn't read my shopping list, but either way, my "bar" was a little empty.

No fear. I looked at what I did have on hand and decided to do things a little differently. I would just make everyone the same kind, and act like I planned it all along.

My uh-oh ended up being a big success! We all loved these and they were the perfect Meat Free Monday main dish! I served them with some cottage cheese and fresh fruit on the side, but they would also be yummy at your next cook out too. Bake off a whole bunch and serve them alongside some steak or chicken hot off the grill!

Sometimes the best things come out of our screw ups!

Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
3 large russet potatoes 
1/4 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 (12 oz.) bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed and woody stems removed
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Clean potatoes and pierce with fork. Lay directly on oven rack. Bake for 50-60 minutes until fork tender. Turn oven down to 350. Once cooked, allow to cool until you can handle them. About 20 minutes. Carefully slice potatoes in half and scoop out potato leaving about 1/8 inch around edges. Place cooked potato in a large bowl. Add sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, broccoli, salt and pepper. Mix well. Place empty potatoes in a greased baking dish. Fill each with potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Add a little extra pepper to top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and heated through. *NOTES* To scoop the potato, I find a melon baller works great. To speed up the cooling process, place potatoes in the fridge for 5-7 minutes. You want 1 potato per person, or 2 halves. 

No comments: