Everyday Mom's Meals: Simple Weekend, Simple Dessert
_____

Monday, October 16, 2017

Simple Weekend, Simple Dessert

Do you ever have those weekends you have to actually schedule time at home? That was us this past weekend. There was so much to get done outside, and Alex had a big project for school...I knew it was time for mama to step in and black out a couple days on the calendar. 

It feels like if the weeks fly by, the weekends are on jet speed. Like I told my mom, "It is nice to know we don't have to be anywhere." 

I had gotten a couple frozen pizzas at the grocery store, some chips, the boys and I had made some Halloween and Star Wars Jell-O Jigglers, all I needed was dessert.  And I had just the thing.

I had this bad boy tucked away on my "must try before holidays" list and I knew this was the perfect time to test it out. I love being able to give you guys ideas way ahead of time so you can plan, and hopefully be a little less stressed out. 

I had actually planned on making this Sunday to go with our "big meal" but couldn't wait any longer! Plus I figured we would have some leftovers so it could work for both days.

This is something magical. First of all, your house is going to smell like fall while it cooks; and even more so, like a holiday. Secondly, if you can chop, stir and set a timer, you will rock this. 

I'm not much of a baker. I wasn't before Max, and now with the 14 month old literally hanging on my legs while I'm in the kitchen, there is no crust making going on! The best way I can describe this is "naked apple pie". (Thank you to my friend Roxie who gave me that!)

In fact, when I was trying to figure out what to call this, I asked friends and fans on Facebook, and promised to mention the one I liked best. Well, Roxie's worked perfectly as a description, but as far as the actual recipe name, I took a few suggestions and put them together to find the right one.  So thank you also, for everyone who left a comment and totally inspired me! 

This is so simple it's perfect any night of the week, or on your simple weekend. Or like I said, save it when Thanksgiving rolls around...which is quicker than you might think!

Autumn Apple Delight
5 Honeycrisp Apples, cored and chopped SKIN ON
1 c. golden raisins
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 TBS ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Stir well to coat. Transfer to a deep dish pie plate. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir gently. Bake another 20 minutes, uncovered, until apples are tender. Serve alone or over dessert shells, pound cake, angel food cake or ice cream. Store in fridge and reheat as wanted.



Inspired by Southern Plate

No comments: