Everyday Mom's Meals: Another Sweet Side Dish
_____

Monday, July 13, 2015

Another Sweet Side Dish

So...I need a vacation from my vacation. You know how it is. You come home after being gone, and you hit the ground running, trying to get back into the swing of things, you blink and a week has gone by and the laundry still isn't caught up, you still aren't 100% unpacked, and you feel like you've been going nonstop--totally cancelling out the two weeks of rest and relaxation you just had. Yep, that's where I'm at.

Plus, we had some added stress to our return. We had a death in our family, and we had to break to the news to our son that his teacher from this past school year had also passed away after a battle with cancer. It was a very sad week in our house. Alex loved Mr. Thorn, and when he became ill back in April, and had to leave the classroom for the rest of they year, he was crushed. But nothing could have prepared him for when we had to tell him back in June just how sick Mr. Thorn was, and then when we had to tell him his suffering and battle was over because God had called him home. Having to share with a 10 year old such devastating news (plus the added death of my husband's great uncle) was not how I wanted to spend the first few days post-vacation. But such is life, and we are now entering into a new, hopefully better week.

But you can see why I might feel like I've been going 100 mph since we got back, in every direction, with a million things to do. So cooking and blogging has kind of had to take a back seat. However, I did manage to make this new treat and just had to share.

I was making breakfast sandwiches and wanted something light to go with them. I wasn't in the mood for any of the "normal" things I serve with them, and then I remembered this recipe I had seen. Ya'll know how much I love these sweet salads I can call a side dish and be done with it. Plus, a little creamy fruit salad seemed appropriate as a breakfast for supper thing.

I am slowly but surely returning to normalcy around here. Or at least trying. In the meantime, I'm so thankful for quick and easy dishes I can whip up, we can enjoy, and then I can share with all of you.


Pineapple Fluff
Inspired by Southern Bite
 2 (20 oz.) cans crushed pineapple, drained well
8 oz. block cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip
1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts, reserve a few for garnish

In a large bowl combine drained pineapple, cream cheese and vanilla. Stir until mixed well. Fold in Cool Whip until combined. Add powdered sugar and walnuts and stir again. Scoop into parfait glasses or dishes. Garnish with extra walnuts. Chill several hours before serving. 



 



 Shared at Weekend Potluck

1 comment:

mylynn1377 said...

I do something similar but I'm sneaky and I use Greek yogurt. I always have tropical mixed fruit on hand, throw in some vanilla Greek yogurt and cool whip. I keep coconut on the side for whomever wants to garnish. It's such a lovely side dish for warmer weather.