Everyday Mom's Meals: Copycat Breakfast For Dinner
_____

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Copycat Breakfast For Dinner

Breakfast for supper. It's an American institution. Okay, so maybe not, but it's definitely something many families across the country enjoy. When I was growing up, it was always such a huge treat when my dad would make a big breakfast spread for dinner (Yes, it was always dad when it came to eggs and pancakes) and now it's a treat when I make it for my son. 

Now most of the time when I plan a morning time meal for our dinner, I tend to go the eggs route. Eggs cooked to order, bacon, toast. Or maybe a quiche or baked omelet. Maybe some corn beef hash. (Okay, now I'm hungry again.) But then I remember my sweet tooth and decide to do a meal based on a batter item...pancakes usually. However, for our most recent breakfast supper, I decided to recreate a restaurant favorite at home, and satisfy that sweet craving a different way.

French Toast. I know many of you are drooling at just the words. But what if I add Cracker Barrel to the those words? Have you had it? Do you love it? Is it the best or at least one of the best versions you've ever had? Well, all of these statements ring true for us. In fact, I can honestly say I was never much of a French Toast fan until I had Cracker Barrel's...and then I was hooked. 

For those of you who have never indulged, if you frequent their restaurants, I encourage you to try the original. For those of you who have, I think you will be pleasantly  surprised at just how my copycat it is. The only difference we could notice was the bread. They are famous for using sourdough for their delicious version, but I prefer a little thicker variety, so I chose thick cut Texas toast. (If you've never seen it at your store, look in the bread aisle. I find my at Kroger.) But if you want it to be exact, go ahead and go with sourdough. It's definitely yummy!

If your family loves breakfast for supper too, maybe this French Toast can be on your table soon. Or if your family prefers their breakfast foods for breakfast...try this tomorrow morning!

Copycat Cracker Barrel French Toast
4 eggs
1 c. milk
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 pinches salt
8 slices Texas toast

In a large bowl whisk eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt well. Preheat griddle to 350. (Or a skillet to medium) Grease griddle with margarine or cooking spray. Dip bread in egg mixture for 30 seconds on each side. Place on griddle and cook for 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown. 
*NOTE* The first few slices will take a little longer to cook, but after the griddle is heated completely, it might take less time.




Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Apr. 17, 2013
Shared on Miz Helen's Country Cottage  Apr. 18, 2013
Shared on The Country Cook Apr. 19, 2013

11 comments:

lishapisa said...

Yes please I love to have breakfast at anytime of the day!
Your French toast are perfect and thank you I'm hungry now :)

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

I love breakfast any time of the day!!!Looks delish!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Wow does that look delish. Breakfast for dinner is a favorite at our house!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Wow does that look delish. Breakfast for dinner is a favorite at our house!

Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

I worked at Cracker Barrel for over 3 years, and I became a huge fan of breakfast and sourdough bread after that:) I also love their coffee~ Wonderful recipe! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

The Better Baker said...

I LOOOOVE french toast! This recipe sounds marvelous...we enjoy breakfast for dinner many times! Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck. Gotta
<3 your recipes!

Krista said...

I love French Toast. It is one of my very favorite things to order when I go out for breakfast. And big thick slices make it even better! Thank you for this fabulous recipe I can make at home :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

barb said...

is breakfast for dinner the same as breakfast for supper because I love that.

Anonymous said...

I use a loaf of day old French bread. My recipe is basically the same except I don't add sugar and I sprinkle with cinnamon as soon as I lay them in the pan. Oh, and I cook them in butter because that's how I roll lol

Anonymous said...

Do you know what ingredients cracker barrel uses and how they make their french toast?

Unknown said...

I absolutely love Cracker Barrel's french toast. It's surprisingly tasty even without the cinnamon. I think the deal breaker for me is Cracker Barrel's buttery sweet syrup!