Everyday Mom's Meals: Appetizer Turned Meal
_____

Friday, February 8, 2013

Appetizer Turned Meal

I love appetizers! We are the people that can make an entire meal out of them! You've seen this when I've shared pictures of our annual New Year's Eve extravaganza! But I also taking things that are commonly served as appetizers and turning them into meals, or main dishes.

Technically, in this case, it wasn't my original idea. I have only ever had these off a "starter" menu, or on party tables. But our favorite Italian restaurant here in Fort Wayne includes them as a meal on their kids' menu, which I know because while Alex loves pretty much everything on their menu, these are one of his favorites. And I have to admit, it's pretty genius of them. See, they've figured out if you take something and bread it, looking like a "nugget" of some sort, and then give kids the sauce on the side, so they can dip, and essentially play with their food, they are going to eat and more than likely clean their plates. Let's face it, restaurants have to get tired of seeing little ones waste so much food as are probably always on the look out for ways to decrease the amount left on the plate! And that's not to say a child wouldn't go in there and eat spaghetti, or lasagna, or even traditional ravioli, but making it more fun only increases the odds.

So when I was at the grocery store and they had frozen ravioli on sale, I decided to have a little fun with it. Now, if I were doing these for a party, I would definitely buy two bags, but knowing I could add other things to the meal, I knew I could stretch one, making it even more economical. I served them with a nice Caesar salad and bread sticks, making a great meal for the three of us.

However, or whenever you decide to make these, I guarantee they will be a huge hit. Kind of a "can't eat just one" type of thing. Appetizers as meals. Heck, if we can do that, why not Dessert as meals? Mmm....I think I'm on to something! Tomorrow night's meal will be brownies with a side of pie!

Toasted Ravioli
1 (25 oz.) bag frozen beef ravioli, thawed
2 eggs
4 TBS milk
2 c. Italian breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Marinara sauce
Vegetable Oil

In a medium bowl beat eggs and milk together. Add salt and pepper. Add breadcrumbs to a second dish. Dip each piece of ravioli into egg mixture and then dredge in breadcrumbs. In a large skillet heat 2 inches of oil to medium. Fry the ravioli in batches, for about 2 minutes per side. (Be careful, once they start to brown, they will cook fast!) Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with marinara sauce on the side.


Shared on The Country Cook Feb. 8, 2013
Shared on Make Ahead Meals Feb. 11, 2013
Italian at Very Good Recipes
Pin It

5 comments:

JackieToo said...

Yum! I love appetizers, too. One of my faves is cheese sticks. I think I'll try cheese ravioli instead of beef and see what happens. Although I do love beef...hmmm...decisions, decisions! ;)

JackieToo said...

Yum! I love appetizers, too. One of my faves is cheese sticks. I think I'll try cheese ravioli instead of beef and see what happens. Although I do love beef...hmmm...decisions, decisions! ;)

NOVA Frugal Family said...

We used to get these cheese with jalapeno fried raviolis at an Italian restaurant here. I have wanted to re-create them but I can't find the darn raviolis. I think that I might try some cheese ones!!! Thanks for the reminder :) It sounds like a great recipe!!

KathyB said...

I just bought a bag of these from the Schwans guy & they were amazing.
Considering their price tag....I'd much rather make my own
These sound wonderful!!!!

Krista said...

Absolutely! I remember growing up Schwann's was so affordable for families. Over the years the prices have went up and the portions have went down. Sad....but yes you can easily make your own!