Everyday Mom's Meals: Congrats Nathan!!
_____

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Congrats Nathan!!

Today we get the honor of watching a very special young man graduate from high school and begin his journey into adulthood. Adam's (our) cousin Nathan, a very accomplished student and athlete is leaving his high school years behind and entering this new phase of his life w/ enthusiasm, faith and a determination that is second to none. Nathan has over come quite a bit in his short 18 years growing into one of the most inspirational, talented, & capable young men I've ever known. (Can you tell I love this kid??) Nathan was about 5 when Adam and I started dating, so I fee like I've been watching him grow up before my eyes, and it's been a pleasure and an adventure! He is very special to me and I treasure the relationship we have! So today's post is in honor of him, b/c according to Nathan, I make the best deviled eggs EVER! (He even told his grandma once to get my recipe b/c mine were better!!! Oops...) I guess everyone needs to know what his/her forte is, and mine is a mean deviled egg:) Actually, it's not just Nathan that thinks so, my father and brothers in law have been known to request these for family meals/holidays. At Christmas time, they actually fought over them and counted to see who was getting more. It wasn't pretty, let me tell you. I don't even know how these became my speciality, but I'm ok w/ it. Hey, they're pretty easy and after making them so many times, I have it down to a science and it's a pretty quick process. Nathan doesn't know it yet, but I'm surprising him by taking some to his graduation party today; and I'm hoping the rest of the guests get some and it's not just him, w/ the tray hiding some where! So, Congratulations Nathan!!!! You have only begun to be the success we know you will be--we are so very proud of you and can't wait to see what you do next!!

Deviled Eggs
6 hard boiled eggs (directions below)
1/4 c. mayo (adjust to taste)
2-3 TBS yellow mustard (adjust to taste)
salt/pepper to taste
paprika for garnish

Place eggs in a large stock pot, cover w/ COLD water and bring to a boil. Boil for 13 minutes. Drain and rinse w/ cold water for 5 minutes. Place in fridge over night. (This step is very important. The colder the egg, the easier they will peel and have a better flavor) Peel all eggs and separate yolks from whites. Cut each egg in half. Mash yolks, or place in food processor to make extra fine. Add mayo, mustard salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Adjust to your taste. Place yolk mixture in a small storage bag and cut off tip (You're making your own pastry bag) Squeezing the bag, fill each egg half w/ yolk mixture. Sprinkle w/ paprika. (If you are not serving these right away, only put paprika on the yolk. It will discolor the white if left) Chill until serving.

Shared on Gooseberry Patch July 27, 2011

*NOTE* The amounts of mustard and mayo are a personal taste. Start w/ these amounts and you can always add more. Also, I know boiling eggs is pretty basic, but after many tries, this is the method I've found to be the absolute best for this recipe. Once boiled, the longer they are chilled, the better. This time, I boiled mine on Friday, deviled on Saturday and served on Sunday.

Egg Yolk on FoodistaEgg Yolk

6 comments:

Tricia @ Recipe Roundup said...

It's funny because boiling eggs is basic but something that I always had trouble with! I've tried Rachel Ray's idea of bringing them to a boil turning them off and letting them sit...never works for me. The way you do it is the way I've been doing it too and it does seem to work the best! Congratulations, Nathan!

Krista said...

I think a lot of people out there have trouble w/ it. I never liked Rachael's way of doing it either. Ina Garten doesn't boil hers long enough for me. I've just experimented enough to know this works well. The cooling in the fridge over night is the key:)

Christine's Pantry said...

Congrats Nathan! Love the recipe!

Carla said...

Nathan loved the eggs as did the rest of the crowd...they went quickly. I'll have to try the cooling in the fridge over night because peeling eggs has always been a problem for me.

Krista said...

I'm glad he enjoyed them. As well as everyone else. Yes, cooling was the thing that changed peeling eggs forever for me!

Ellen Zames said...

Interesting! I always cover with cold water and as soon as the water boils I cover and turn off the heat and let them sit for 1`5-18 minutes and they always come out perfect. I'm going to try the refrigerator trick because I always have trouble peeling them.

Ellen

http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com