Everyday Mom's Meals: Childhood In A Bowl
_____

Monday, August 3, 2015

Childhood In A Bowl

When I was a little girl, summer time meant many things. Lazy mornings, sleeping in. Riding my bike all over my home town (As long as I didn't cross the "big" highway.") Coming home for supper, leaving again and not having to come back until "the street lights came on." Yeah, that's how the world was in my small town back then. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that way in the world we live in today, sadly.

But one of the things I remember more than any is my mom making her old fashion Strawberry Shortcake, over...and over...and over...and over again. It was always (and still is) my dad's favorite and we ate as much of it as possible during those warm summer months.

Now, if you ask my dad, who learned from his dad, me or my son, there is one special addition to mom's shortcake that is a must. See, once mom serves it up, dripping in those sweet, delicious berries, we take ice cold milk and pour down over the top. Hey, don't knock it til you try it. I know many who eat ice cream on theirs, and when it melts....kinda the same idea.

Why do we do this? Simple. My grandpa started to years ago. See, mom's shortcake recipe came from her mother in law. And when Grammy made it, Popeye (that's what we called our grandpa) couldn't resist. And he decided he could eat more of it, if he ate it all day, not just after supper. So, he declared "If I pour milk on it, I can eat it for breakfast." And history was made. A legacy that has been passed down for 3 generations. Oh, we also do the same thing with apple dumplings...for the same reason!

This NO bake sweet treat takes me back those childhood summers. I have all the yummy things from a bowl of mom's shortcake, milk included, in one bite.

If you have to take a dish to a cookout or family get together, here is your inspiration. I guarantee it will be a huge hit!

Strawberry Shortcake Fluff
1 small box instant white chocolate pudding mix
1 1/2 c. milk
1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip
1 lb. strawberries, diced, reserve some for garnish
1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
1 (11 oz.) pound cake loaf
Red food coloring

In a large bowl whisk together pudding mix and milk. Fold in Cool Whip. Add a few drops of food coloring to get desired pink color. Add berries, cake, and marshmallows. Mix until combined. Garnish with extra berries. Chill at least an hour before serving. 





 


Shared at Weekend Potluck

8 comments:

The Better Baker said...

Yes oh yes please! Heaped high too! =) Thanks for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. This sounds simply divine.

Unknown said...

Hiya! Oh goodness this looks delicious. But I have a question or two. What do we do with the pound cake and marshmallows listed in the ingredients?

Thank you! I can't wait to try this!!!

Krista said...

Hi Laura

You add them at the same time as the berries. See second line of the recipe. Hope this helps :)

Krista said...

Sorry, guess it's the 3rd line of the recipe :)

The Better Baker said...

I can't wait to make this soon! Thanks for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck!!!

Unknown said...

How many servings please

Krista said...

About 6

Krista said...

About 6