Everyday Mom's Meals: A Stop In The Frozen Food Aisle
_____

Sunday, March 7, 2021

A Stop In The Frozen Food Aisle

I know I'm not the only one who relies on a few convenience and/or prepackaged foods here and there to make life easier.  Sometimes you just need to grab something from the freezer or store shelf to help your day be a little less stressful. There is absolutely no shame in doing so. Especially in the times we are living right now! 

A year ago, I don't know about you, but meal planning and grocery shopping brought me to tears more than once. We were already on edge, scared of this virus that had landed on our shores, and then there was a food shortage. I remember standing in the grocery aisles having to re-do my menu plan on the fly because they were out of everything. Not knowing from week to week what we could find was emotionally draining. At one point, I would have given anything to find a couple boxes of Hamburger Helper and some frozen pot pies! 

Convenience foods get a bad wrap, and I get it. We all want to give our families meals filled with fresh healthy, ingredients. But I also come from the real world. Let's face it, those prepackaged foods are still made because we keep buying them. Sometimes it's because they are cheaper. Sometimes it's because of time. Sometimes it's just simply because they are easier. Personally, I don't want any shame because of it, and I don't give any shame. I have been the lady at the grocery store with a cart filled with fresh meat, veggies and fruits. Standing behind the mom with 4 little ones that had tv dinners, frozen pizzas and cans of ravioli in her cart. I distinctly remember her looking at me, looking at my cart, and getting a look on her face that screamed shame. She assumed I was standing there judging her. Nope, not me lady. You are trying to feed your babies, and doing the best you can. 

This is one of our new favorite casseroles, and guess what? The part I love the best? It starts with a bag of frozen popcorn chicken! Yep, we are taking a terrific traditional recipe like Chicken Parmesan and turning it into a weeknight meal with the help of something from the frozen food aisle! 

Since there is no need to thaw the chicken first (BONUS!) you can come home and have this on the table in less than an hour. Throw on some sweats, toss a quick salad and dinner is done! It's a hearty, filling, perfect after a long, maybe chilly day, casserole the whole family will devour. 

I try really hard to use fresh ingredients in most of our meals. But I will be the first one to admit sometimes that blue box of macaroni and cheese is just easier (oh, and it happens to be yummy). And when those boxed au gratin potato mixes go on sale for $1 or even $.49, yep you can bet I'm going to buy a few to keep on hand for those nights when I just can't handle complicated. 

Taking a little help here and there from the grocery store is no reason to feel shame, or look down upon others for. I think we all appreciate the foods we do have a little more after living through this pandemic, and should be thankful we have the ability to make something from scratch, or pop a frozen lasagna in the oven. Many across this country and around the world would give anything to have that choice, so I will be grateful the next time I'm walking down the frozen food aisle to grab that box of fish sticks. 

 Chicken Parmesan Casserole

1 (25 oz.) bag frozen popcorn chicken, no need to thaw

1 lb. rotini pasta, cooked to al dente

1 (24 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce

1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained

1/2 c. grated Parmesan/Romano cheese blend

1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

1 c. shredded pizza blend cheese

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1 TBS Italian seasoning

Salt and Pepper

Dried Parsley

Preheat oven to 375. While pasta cooks, in a large bowl combine spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, seasonings, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Fold in popcorn chicken. When pasta is cooked, drain well. Mix into chicken mixture. Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with pizza blend cheese. Bake for 50 minutes until browned and bubbly. Garnish with dried parsley. 

 

Shared at Weekend Potluck


 


2 comments:

Gina said...

This looks delish and totally off my diet plan, but it would be great to make for our next extended family meal. (:

Krista said...

Everyone needs to indulge now & again! Hope your family enjoys it!