Did you know today is National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day!! Yep, February 7th is a day to be celebrated!
And my good friends over at Post Foods are combining this special day with some great recipes including both ice cream, and the breakfast staple...cereal!
Chocolate Toffee Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cocoa Pebbles Cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Pebbles cereal
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Filling and Garnish:
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Pebbles Cereal
- 6 cups (1 1/2 pints) salted caramel ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, grind cereal into a fine powder. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, ground cereal, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down side of bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined. Chill dough for 1-2 hours.
- Divide dough and roll into 48 1-inch balls. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Press down lightly with a glass and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until cookies are set about 8-10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
- When ready to prepare the sandwiches, combine the toffee bits and 3/4 cup cereal in a small bowl. Scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream and spread on the underside of one side of the cookies. Top with another cookie and roll the edges in toffee-cereal mixture. Continue with remaining cookies, placing each completed ice cream sandwich in the freezer immediately. Freeze ice cream sandwiches for at least 2 hours until firm.