Everyday Mom's Meals: Doesn't Get Fresher
_____

Friday, August 30, 2013

Doesn't Get Fresher

Having a big barbecue this Labor Day weekend? Have fresh veggies from the garden you would like to use? How about a cool, creamy, crunchy and most of all flavorful salad you and your guests will love? Your everyday mom is here with the perfect idea!

I love summer for so many reasons, too many to even list, but the foodie in me loves being able to eat foods we grow ourselves in our backyard. Or should I say, foods my boys grow in our backyard. Because besides picking them, I don't have much to do with it. It's better that way. My thumbs are not green in any way!

But when they come inside with a big bowl filled with beautiful tomatoes, cucumbers, blackberries, grapes, etc...that's when it's my job to find ways to use them all in a yummy, and sometimes new way.

When I first saw this recipe, it reminded me of other creamy veggie salads I've made in the past, except for one thing: the radishes. We are huge radish fans. Even little man loves them, so I was happy to find a new way to use them. Plus, I loved the use of lemon and seasoning salt in the dressing. They really took the basic sour cream dressing and took it to a whole other flavor level. Oh, and I have to tell you, I was extremely pleased with it's consistency after sitting in the fridge for a few hours. The vegetables were still crisp, not mushy at all.

Since we're going into the "last weekend of summer" (the quotations are because I don't consider it to be, but I know society says different) there is no better time than to head outside, fire up the grill, invite friends and family over, and enjoy a backyard bash. And this salad would be great with anything you're pulling off the fire. Enjoy summer's bounty while you still can because it doesn't get fresher, and in about 3 months when we're knee deep in snow, we will be missing it profusely!

Creamy Vegetable Salad Adapted From Taste of Home
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 large cucumbers, seeded and chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped, reserve a few for garnish
6 radishes, finely chopped
1 c. sour cream
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
1/8 c. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. celery seed, extra for garnish

In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and radishes. Toss to combine. In a small bowl whisk together sour cream, seasoning salt, lemon juice, pepper and celery seed. Pour over veggies. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.



Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 30, 2013

No comments: