Everyday Mom's Meals: 100% Stovetop
_____

Friday, August 2, 2013

100% Stovetop

An entire cookbook of nothing but stovetop meals. Sound too good to be true? Well, it's not! Put away those oven mitts ladies and gents, because you won't be needing them for this recipe, or any of  those in Gooseberry Patch's 101 Stovetop Suppers

Ya'll know my love of all things Gooseberry Patch, and most of you probably already know why I'm especially fond of this cookbook. Yep, because I am in it!! That's right! Another one of my recipes made it's way into my favorite line of cookbooks. I couldn't be more excited or proud. (In case you're wondering, it is Beef and Bean Tostadas...and they are super yummy!) And one of the greatest things about GP choosing to use your recipe is that you receive a free copy of the book too! 

So you can imagine how excited I was to come home from vacation at the beginning of July and find not one, not two, but three Gooseberry Patch books waiting for me...because indeed I have recipes in all three! (The other two are harvest and holiday...so there will be recipes coming from them in the near future!) I couldn't wait to start thumbing through the pages! First because I love seeing my name in print next to food I created. It's like showing of a child to the world. Secondly, I knew there were other delicious recipes just waiting for me to try.

This is one of those I found and couldn't wait to make for my family. You know how much we love pasta, but probably about 90% of the recipes I have are for baked versions. I have others too, but looking through my collection, most come out of the oven. Sure, they start stovetop but eventually find their way into the oven to finish. So I was super excited to have this one cook entirely on the stove, especially since the day I made it the thermometer was reading about 95 with what I think was 400% humidity.

This recipe could not be easier, and it even takes a little help from the store using frozen ravioli. (The original called for refrigerated, but my store doesn't carry it, so I adapted.) Plus, it cooks right in the sauce, allowing each piece to wrap itself in the flavorful sauce. It is a simply yet delicious Italian supper you can have on the table in no time.

If you are looking for more recipes that don't include the oven, this is just for you. And if you love it, maybe you can get a copy of 101 Stovetop Suppers for yourself. And be sure to check out that tostada recipe from that woman in Indiana....it's pretty tasty and I hear she's a real sweetie too!

Stovetop Ravioli Adapted from Gooseberry Patch
1 (23 oz.) bag frozen four cheese ravioli, thawed
2 (24 oz.) jars Garlic and Herb spaghetti sauce
1 1/4 c. water
1 lb. ground beef
2 TBS olive oil
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 TBS Italian Seasoning
1/4. tsp. red pepper flakes, crushed
Salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. mozzarella cheese

In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil. When warm, add ground beef. Break apart and brown until almost fully cooked. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Stir and continue to brown until no longer pink. Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often until mushrooms begin to brown. Add sauce, water and ravioli. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add Parmesan cheese and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until ravioli is cooked through. Remove ravioli from pot to individual plates using a slotted spoon. Ladle sauce over each one. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.


Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 2, 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Aug. 6, 2013
Shared on Lady Behind The Curtain Aug. 7, 2013
Pasta at Very Good Recipes

No comments: