Everyday Mom's Meals: Coney 3.0
_____

Friday, August 9, 2013

Coney 3.0

I would not describe my recipes as famous. My recipes are for myself, my family and of course you, my faithful foodie family. But there are two dishes that are the exception. One, my Deviled Eggs, which are what I like to call "family famous", because they are the one thing I am always required to bring to family parties and holidays. And two, my Coney Sauce...which is now almost famous because of all the times my Coney Dogs and Coney Nachos have been shared on Facebook. I can't say they've gone "viral" but it's the closet thing I will probably ever get to one doing so, and I will take it! So for all of you that loved both of those recipes. and like me would like to find more ways to use that yummy sauce...I am back today with yet another!

We love sliders in this house. Burgers are great, but there is something about a mini burger that tastes even better. Maybe that old adage of "the best things come in small packages" is why. We don't know, we just know they are a favorite around here, and I love finding new ones to try.

I was lucky enough to receive a free package of frozen slider patties from Kroger through BzzAgent, and wanted to do something extra fun with them. (If you have never heard of BzzAgent, be sure to click on the link to see how you can get in on the fun!) I love these patties!! They are the perfect slider size, and can be thrown on the grill completely frozen, no need to thaw, making them so convenient for a busy night! 

So when we got back from Florida the beginning of July and I was still getting back into the swing of things, they were the perfect meal. Well, it just so happened to be the same night I had made a batch of my Coney Sauce to give to our friend/neighbor for watching our house and mowing our lawn while we were gone. She was the one that inspired the name Crack Nachos; and since she won't let us pay her for her 3 weeks of hard work, I make a big pot of her favorite hot dog topping to show our gratitude. 

Anyway, I was standing there stirring the pot and brain storming about what I was going to do with these slider patties when lightning struck. Why not top the burgers with Coney Sauce and our favorite Coney Dog toppings, turning an everyday slider patty into something new, fun and 100% delicious?? Well, it sounded like a great plan to me, and by the end of supper we all agreed it certainly was. Oh my goodness are these good! They are the perfect little bite sized burger combining two American classics. 

If you are looking for a new burger to treat you family with that can be on the table in almost no time at all, that they will flip for, these are the perfect idea. There are so many uses for this Coney Sauce, I can't wait to see what version 4.0 brings!

Coney Sliders
6 frozen slider patties, grilled to likeness
6 slider buns
Extra Diced Onion
Extra Mustard

Sauce: 
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
2 TBS butter
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 TBS yellow mustard
2 TBS cider vinegar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder

 In a large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in butter. Add ground beef and break up until fine.(I use my potato masher.) Cook until brown and drain fat. In a medium bowl combine all other ingredients and whisk well. Add to beef mixture. Stir well and heat. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes. If dries out, add a little water, scrape bottom of pan to get pan drippings off and continue simmering. Spread mustard on both sides of bun. Place slider patty on bottom. Top with about 2 TBS of Coney Sauce, extra mustard and diced onion. 



Shared on The Country Cook Aug. 9 2013
Shared on Mandy's Recipe Box Aug. 13, 2013

Ground Beef at Very Good Recipes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Krista, I have a weakness for sliders--especially if they are piled high with fried onion strings :) I live in Michigan where Coney-style everything seems to be a requirement. I haven't been brave enough to try a Coney dog or burger, but you are giving me the courage to try. I am having a blast exploring your link party!